Wednesday, May 25, 2022

Playlist: My Fab 4

Fabs refabbed from Legos.

There’s a feature on Sirius/XM’s Beatles channel (the new obsession, in case you haven’t noticed) where regular schmoes like me can submit their Fab Four playlist, and play DJ for 15 minutes.

Well, I could play that gig.

But what would I submit? 

I think the theme I must respect at this time is obsession: what four songs have I obsessed over during my Beatle fandom, which started in 1973? And what’s the story? Suprisingly, I have one for each Beatle.

I think readers (crickets) may find some repeat stories. I’ll go in chronological order. 

Norwegian Wood - love affair with the Beatles started with the cartoons that were in WKBD TV-50 after school. I thought this song was so pretty. I was six, so John’s innuendo was completely lost on me. I thought it was a date that didn’t go right (correct) so he built a fire in the fireplace and was sad (wrong). Oy, this is John at the height of his douchebaggery, but I love it so. 

For No One - I was a typical teenage girl, and if you broke my heart, I was going to latch onto a tune and for 1988, wear the tape thin in my cassette. I played Revolver every day for 30 days straight after a breakup, and the mournful bassoon created the perfect foil for my melancholy. 

Day Tripper - my husband likes gadgets, electronics, and stereo equipment. I never got the tech snobbery until he bought me a good pair of earbuds for running. Oh. My. God. I became obsessed with Ringo’s drumming on almost every track, starting with this one. What he could do to shape a song: come in, go out, bring a tambourine back with him, rattle some shit for the fun of it. Damn, rock on Ritchie one more time for me.

Long, Long, Long - the CD remaster of The White Album in the 80s did a great disservice to this song, it’s barely a whisper. Then comes the 2009 remix, then the re-digitized version in the 50th anniversary set. It’s moody, sexy, otherworldly as George whispers and drags the lyrics in mysterious fashion, then Ringo rushes in. Paul spookily counters with a few notes on an organ and rattles some bottles. Yes, I've choreographed a skating routine to it in my head. 

Some honorable mentions that almost made the list? You've Got to Hide Your Love Away. While My Guitar Gently Weeps. Two of Us. If I Needed Someone. A Day in the Life. Love Me Do is downright moody when the melody is played on guitar - Dave attributes it to Paul being a bassist. 

No comments:

Best Meal I Ever Ate, Appetizers

Jim and I: seventeen-year-old gastro thrill seekers. I'm intentionally out of order with May posts to celebrate May 8 as my promaversary...