Monday, February 20, 2023

End of Our Whitecap Era

Celebrating Pedro’s birthday with the crew, 2006.

After 16 seasons, three championships, and 23 players, the Whitecaps let us know that the host family program has come to an end. It is the aftermath of the labor agreement reached last year, calling for equity for all their minor league players in terms of access to wages, suitable training facilities, and fair housing. 

Fair housing means a two bedroom/two bath for all, not easy access to my basement. 

After being angry and heartbroken last week, I'm now at the acceptance stage. I get it. The Whitecaps may secretly be relieved that they don't have to wait for an exchange student to go back home or for us to get home from a vacation. Or worry about too many players sharing a bedroom. Or not having enough families to safely house players with all the roster moves that happen. 

But!

Host family of the groom, although we claim Mallory too. 

I'm going to miss that familial connection to my other favorite sport. Seeing the guys make their way through the system and take the field. Wishing them well when they move on. Celebrating their big moments, like Dane's wedding, Ryan's kids, Michael's new business, and Pedro's professional success. 

But!

I'm also going to appreciate having our basement be ours again. Not having to wear the host mom hat again and again and again. Gaining so much hot dog and nacho weight. 

But!

I'm going to miss that deeper connection to what's going on in the field. Yes, I played favorites when my boys were on the mound or up to bat. And I'm sad we may have missed our opportunity to host a major leaguer. We are counting on you Andre, Corey, Andrew, Dane, Aaron, and Garrett, you're our last hope. 

Hmm, maybe I'm in the negotiation portion of grieving. To console us, the Whitecaps, who have always been good to us, is giving us a final season of host family privileges: free tickets, free parking, and discounts at the shops. Stock up on those Caps sweatshirts and hold onto that host family pass, it's soon to be a relic. 

No comments:

Best Meal I Ever Ate, Appetizers

Jim and I: seventeen-year-old gastro thrill seekers. I'm intentionally out of order with May posts to celebrate May 8 as my promaversary...