Tuesday, February 21, 2023

February's Secret Life of Objects: Record Bowl

What to do with old vinyl. 

I was due to make a craft around Christmas at the same time we dismantled the entertainment center and looked to get rid of some of the vinyl we weren't listening to. 

What do you do with a bunch of colorfully labeled LPs? You make bowls out of them. 

The process is simple, you heat the oven to 250 degrees, then place a glass bowl on a cookie sheet, then the LP on the bowl, and put the whole thing in the oven. Once it starts to warp, you take it out. With oven mitts on, shape the record into a bowl until it hardens again at room temperature. It took about 45 seconds in the oven, but over 10 minutes to completely cool. 

Of all the records I used to make Christmas gifts, I chose to keep The Supremes' A Bit of Liverpool for my own. Listening to The Beatles Channel, I have heard some of these songs already and they don't do a bad job of it. And this is how I remember what I made for Christmas 2022. 

No comments:

Best Meal I Ever Ate, Appetizers

Jim and I: seventeen-year-old gastro thrill seekers. I'm intentionally out of order with May posts to celebrate May 8 as my promaversary...