Thursday, December 14, 2023

Secret Life of Objects: Eu de Melissa


A signature scent!

I didn’t do a SLoO post for November! This should make up for it. 

Back in 2011, my parents wanted Will all to themselves while giving me a birthday weekend. I had a bunch of freebies to redeem, so I reluctantly gave Will over to his grandparents who were ready to go show him off.

I gathered up my birthday coupons and treated myself to free makeup from Sephora and Ulta, ice cream from Baskin Robbin’s, a burger from Steak n Shake. It was the 10-year anniversary of the 9/11 attacks so I attended a memorial concert and planted a flag. I even attended the Hispanic Festival and drank pina coladas out of a pineapple.

The most curious giveaway I got that year was a free custom blend perfume from Aveda. All I had to do was find a salon and do a consult. 

What I got was a quick lesson in how to build a fragrance. We discussed top notes and base notes, what my scent personality was. Jasmine! Bitter orange! Ylang-ylang! Vanilla! The consultant was waving around sticks and having as much fun as I was. She blended a bottle for me, threw in a few extras for my birthday, and sent me in my way. 

I made it last as long as I could and when I got down to the last bits, I added alcohol to the oils to make it last. It still smells good just not as strong. I have since picked up more oils from Aveda - lavender, tangerine, stress relief blend - to create another scent. 

No comments:

Best Meal I Ever Ate, Appetizers

Jim and I: seventeen-year-old gastro thrill seekers. I'm intentionally out of order with May posts to celebrate May 8 as my promaversary...