Sunday, December 17, 2023

Typing Out Loud: Counting Down The Beatles

Selfie with Ringo, he’s a little far away. 

Talking ‘bout boys

I’m listening to the Beatles Channel and have fallen into the habit of thinking “top third, bottom third, middle third” with each song and wondered why I haven’t done my own ranking of each song from last to first.

It's a huge undertaking and I’m sure ever-changing opinions on songs will make them slip up and down my chart. I don’t want to think this opinion is set in stone; the channel does rank songs by listener vote on an annual basis.

I'm pretty stubborn about what I consider proper Beatles albums, so what are my parameters for Beatles songs? And what do I do with the Anthologies, live at the BBC recordings, and alternative takes? What about Now and Then? I know for a fact A2 version of It’s Only Love ranks higher than the Help version, so I count them both? And what about the remixes for the Cirque du Soliel musical Love? 

Simply, if it’s credited to The Beatles, it counts. Including Tony Sheridan, The Quarrymen, and The Silver Beetles. That means I get to give love to Pete and Stu! 

Hearing a version of The Long and Winding Road off Let it Be… Naked changed my mind about ranking all to ranking the best version only. I really don’t want to have to sort out fifteen different versions of Rocky Raccoon. That means I have to pick a version of While My Guitar Gently Weeps.

Basically, my list, my rules. And I will say I don’t think Revolution 9 will be last. But what will be? I’m eyeing you, Yes It Is. Although Christmas Time is Here Again is in right now and… yikes.

No comments:

Best Meal I Ever Ate, Appetizers

Jim and I: seventeen-year-old gastro thrill seekers. I'm intentionally out of order with May posts to celebrate May 8 as my promaversary...