Tuesday, May 5, 2020

Charley O's - closed



The internet has not been kind to Charley O's. Or rather, a history of poor service met with snarky foodies may have done the place in. Don't mess with the yelpers, they will throw singular reviews around like Asian throwing stars.

I've described this place to a friend one time we were in here as "a bad episode of Becker".

Got sucked in by the $5 drinks sign. There was only like 6 drinks on the list and they were all gross fruity selections. I'd rather drink turpentine thank you very much.

If I wanted to pay $17 for a freezer hamburger patty, then I have a better way to do it...

If you want to eat in the Theatre District before a show, there are plenty of places, but avoid this one!

The service was very slow, not friendly, and just unnecessarily rude.

The problem is the quality/value ratio. You pay New York prices for mediocre food.


If I could give this place no stars I would-- based purely on decor and service.

Zomato reviews were a tad friendlier, with faint praise for the iced tea as the "best $11.25 you'll spend in NYC."

Google maps reveals a patch of green space where the 70s location used to be. The restaurant moved closer to the theater district and existed until approximately 2011, since that is when bitching about the place ceased to exist. Checking out the relocation to 8th Ave, what used to be CO's is now The Iron Bar.

Perhaps we need to reflect on happier times, when they were named a B&H 100 Greatest Bar? In my mind, I see Sally Draper circa 1979, in a sequel to Mad Men, the coolest tortured soul, ponying up to the bar aprés disco, and ordering one of these, not giving a shit about the cocaine her friend is doing next to her, as this drink makes her remember Grandpa Gene and their shared love of ice cream.

Emerald Isle Cooler
  • 6 oz. vanilla ice cream
  • 1 oz. creme de menthe
  • 1 oz. Irish whiskey
  • club soda
Place ice cream in tall glass, add the boozes. Stir. Fill glass with club soda and stir again.

No comments:

Best Meal I Ever Ate, Appetizers

Jim and I: seventeen-year-old gastro thrill seekers. I'm intentionally out of order with May posts to celebrate May 8 as my promaversary...