Thursday, May 21, 2020

Fran O'Brien's - closed


The only shred of a souvenir I could find.  

The location that used to be Fran O'Brien's is now City Line Pediatrics.

Diving into the internet to see if I could find the last vestiges of Fran O'Brien's reveals O'Brien Tire and Auto, an O'Brien's Irish Pub ("overpriced and terrible" says one grubhubber) with no Fran in sight.

Ah! but a Main Line news article mentions the beloved Fran in a 2013 article!

For young suburbanites in the late ’70s and early ’80s, City Line Avenue was the most happening part of town.

Pro sports players, local TV and radio celebrities, and regular Joes and Joannes, many from inner-ring suburbs like Drexel Hill, Springfield, and Havertown would party hearty at Bala Cynwyd nightspots Fran O’Brien’s and the Library.

That gang, each now around 60, came from as far as Florida and as near as Newtown Square Tuesday night for a reunion.


After that, the internet takes me to Maryland for Fran O'Brien's Oyster bar, up to Delaware, over to O'Brien's Family Dentistry, and back to Philly for tire service. Not sure if it was a chain (there are that many references to Fran O'Brien) or a coincidence. Alas, all gone. 

Since my dear friend Cara is an O'Brien, I'm choosing the drink I think she's most likely to indulge in. 

Volga Boatman
  • 1 1/2 oz. vodka
  • 1 1/2 oz. apricot liqueur
  • 5 oz. lemon juice
  • 1 orange slice
  • 1 cherry
Pour all but the fruit over crushed ice in a cocktail shaker. Shake well. Pour into a tall 12 oz. glass, and garnish. 

No comments:

Best Meal I Ever Ate, Appetizers

Jim and I: seventeen-year-old gastro thrill seekers. I'm intentionally out of order with May posts to celebrate May 8 as my promaversary...