Wednesday, January 3, 2024

Typing Out Loud: Do Not Smash

Are we having fun yet?

So I'm working on completing a certificate in leadership and communication at Harvard Online - say it with me: Haaaaaaavarddddd - and I have to come up with a position on a topic. I'm drawing a blank. Since I don't want to do a deep dive into politics, I want to present a position on something I find important and I discovered my topic.

The wedding cake smash. 

How many times have you gone to a wedding, the bride and groom looking impeccable, and when the time comes to delicately and lovingly feed each other cake at the ceremonial cutting, they instead are reduced to a middle-school food fight, and the bride ends up with frosting in her hair and crying.

Neither Dave nor I can stand it.

And it appears this is quite the topic of discussion on Reddit, Newsweek, Martha Stewart Living, and various etiquette blogs.

Simply: don't do it.

Why? From Martha Stewart: "It's been said that the more cake gets smeared into faces, the higher the likelihood of eventual divorce. When a couple is "nice" and gently feeds their significant other cake, it symbolizes their willingness to be partners, and share a household, as well as their commitment to take care of each other throughout their lives. However, when the cake is smashed, all bets are off. Whether both bride and groom embrace the idea or it's only one of them causing trouble, most agree that cake smashing shows a distinct lack of respect, and those marriages have a higher likelihood of failure. Others, however, see the tradition as great fun. Will they or won't they? Guests love the anticipation, and whatever stunt the bride and groom choose to pull is always met with laughter and lots of pictures; isn't that the goal of a reception, anyway?"

Newsweek discourages it from an etiquette point of view (who's cleaning up your mess?), a financial point of view (cake can cost up to $12 a slice), as well as respecting your partner, as one bride confessed she broke her husband's nose in the process: "10/10 do not recommend," she stated remorsefully.

I like to think this practicality was passed down to Will. He was encouraged to smash his first birthday cake, to which he grabbed a corner and just ate it. 

No comments:

Best Meal I Ever Ate, Appetizers

Jim and I: seventeen-year-old gastro thrill seekers. I'm intentionally out of order with May posts to celebrate May 8 as my promaversary...