Wednesday, January 17, 2024

Typing Out Loud: What's More Precious?

What would Picasso say about this?

There was a fire at a Seattle art gallery, and many pieces of art may have been destroyed: story here.

The fire was started in an alley behind the gallery as someone built a fire to warm themselves. There are many homeless people apparently unhoused in that neighborhood. The quote that bugs me is: “I feel saddest for the contemporary artists who have trusted us with their works,” Davidson said.

This has created a dialogue online that is ugly, to say the least. Disparaging comments about the homeless and how their lives are worth less than the artworks contained therein. 

I love art. I love priceless art. But I hesitate to say it is more valuable than a cold, homeless human being. 

But I am also a hypocrite as I stood for hours admiring Miro, Marc, Duchamp, and Monet artworks while walking briskly past the homeless asking for a dollar in the streets of Chicago. 

I am heartbroken for all. I don't have answers, but vilifying a homeless person looking for warmth isn't one of them. 

No comments:

Best Meal I Ever Ate, Appetizers

Jim and I: seventeen-year-old gastro thrill seekers. I'm intentionally out of order with May posts to celebrate May 8 as my promaversary...