Tuesday, January 16, 2024

Rethinking Yellow

In desperate need of sunshine this cold and dreary January

Another new feature for the blog, attempting to mix it up!

One of my favorite scenes from the movie The Mask is Rocky Dennis describing the color red to a girl who is blind. He succeeds by carefully offering her a hot potato. He adds that when the potato cools it becomes pink. 

I'm coupling that thought with the conversation I had with my nephew and his girlfriend about the entrance essays they each had to write for the University of Chicago. UoC likes their "weirdos" as they proudly identify themselves; all the questions are geared towards challenging their prospective students to think differently. 

So, I'm trying to think differently in a Rocky Dennis way, and each month this year attempt to describe a color not by what I see, but by the other senses in a way that is both creative, appealing, and logical. 

Yellow is...

Taste: a rich, crumbly shortbread cookie that is slightly browned around the edges 

Touch: soft, creamy, and oily, like far too expensive hand cream

Smell: freshly squeezed lemons

Hear: the clear tones of a trumpet

No comments:

Best Meal I Ever Ate, Appetizers

Jim and I: seventeen-year-old gastro thrill seekers. I'm intentionally out of order with May posts to celebrate May 8 as my promaversary...