Monday, January 29, 2024

Why Art Matters: Art Parodies in Bojack Horseman

Bojack likes Franz Marc too. 

Pia encouraged me to watch the darker-than-the-dark twisted fantasy that is Bojack Horseman. Sorry, a little late to the party, the show ended in 2020, and here I am indulging 4 years later. 

Season one starts really slow, then wait - is that a Franz Marc by the front door? Indeed, the illustrators parodied Marc's Blue Horse. 

Feeding a Rothko addiction.

Then came persuading an actor with an art addiction to take a role for the paycheck by telling him "a Rothko is up for auction next week."

I was addicted, not only to the storytelling but to seeing how many artworks I could spot hiding in the storyboards. 

Rivera. 

Monet. 

O'Keefe.

Haring. 

Kahlo. 

Somehow, it just makes it all funnier.  And darker, especially when you link the artist's themes and meaning with the show's narrative. 

For more, read here

No comments:

Best Meal I Ever Ate, Appetizers

Jim and I: seventeen-year-old gastro thrill seekers. I'm intentionally out of order with May posts to celebrate May 8 as my promaversary...