Friday, September 4, 2020

The Songs That Shaped Rock and Roll, 311-320

Oh for our youthful days 

Aaron Neville, Tell It Like It Is
This is an undeniable slow jam. I really love the version Heart did in the early 80s on the album Private Audition.

New York Dolls, Personality Crisis
It's glam and garage and punk, and not something you would have found by twisting the radio dial in my area in the 70s. It's glorious noise. I can't believe the lead singer is the same guy who became novelty hit maker Buster Poindexter 15 years later. Sometimes you have to feather the nest by flipping the formula for the fun of it; ask one earnest singer/songwriter named Stephanie who became Lady GaGa.

Randy Newman, Sail Away
I detest Randy Newman and I cannot explain it. Was it Short People? Those 70s aviator shades? Giving the song a listen, yes, he doesn't sound like anyone else, but eh. YouTube dumped me into the song I Love LA, and yeah, this only solidifies it for me. My faint praise for him would be the song You've Got a Friend in Me from the Toy Story franchise. And for someone that has been in the industry for so long, and nominated for so many awards, good on him for finally earning his Oscar.

Nirvana, Smells Like Teen Spirit
At the time, popular music was hair bands, overproduced dance music fronted by nameless singers in the wake of the Milli Vanilli scandal (there were more dirty dealings, such as the Weather Girls fronting the female models posing as C+C Music Company), and the MotownPhilly sound. Everything was very glossy, and Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Jane's Addiction, Screaming Trees, Soundgarden, and the rest ripped off the sheen. It was a loud, rowdy few years.

O'Jays, Love Train
Story of my youth: one year my cousin Nancy decided to buy her little cousins Christmas presents. My gift from her was two 45s: one by Anne Murray, and this one by the O'Jays. I don't know if she was just feeling generous that year, or if she felt that I needed to get funkier. I mean, I was 6 or 7. What's not to love about this song, it's a guaranteed fill the dance floor song at any wedding. I say that because that's pretty much the only time I'm around a DJ trying to get the party started anymore.

Phil Ochs, I Ain't Marching Anymore
Bluegrass/country war protest song that chronicles the American history of war, and the desire to end it, finally. "Call it reason or call it treason, I'm not marching anymore." Whoa.

Roy Orbison, Oh Pretty Woman
I feel like Roy is to the 50s teen boys as Mariah Carey is to 90s teenage girls. This is his signature song, so yes this should be here. I'm still surprised there's no biopic on him, as one of the legends that made Sun Records famous; his contemporaries include Elvis, Johnny Cash, and Jerry Lee Lewis. The Beatles worshipped him. My dad loved him. He had a second generation career resurgence in the late 80s when a black and white concert presentation revived interest in his catalog. Then he joined the supergroup The Traveling Wilburys, had a hit record with Mystery Girl, and a hit duet with KD Lang. Alas, his late career success was too much, and he died on the road of a heart attack at the age of 52.

He needs his biopic!

The Orioles, Crying in the Chapel
Made more famous by Elvis, all the bones are here, in 1953. I'm pleased to see comments on youtube from teenagers saying they are floored by this "new" doowop and are playing it. The kids are all right.

Johnny Otis, Willie and the Hand Jive
I. Love. This. Song. Again, I reference Grease as the catalyst for the revival of 50s dance, music, and culture in the 70s. My mom taught me how to do the hand jive. Hm, future solo ice dance routine?

Parliament, Give Up the Funk
Is it Parliament? Is it Funkadelic? Is it Parliament Funkadelic? The many incarnations of George Clinton's genius cannot be denied. I will see them some day.

No comments:

Typing Out Loud: Being More Than

Such nice extension... you could be a dancer if you wanted, sweetie. Oh Lord, a professional football player opened mouth and inserted foot ...