Thursday, September 10, 2020

The Songs That Shaped Rock and Roll, 351

One vision? What a vision... 

Queen, Bohemian Rhapsody
This very well could be the post with the most photos I've ever done. As mentioned previously, during my cancer treatment when the movie Bohemian Rhapsody was everywhere, I rediscovered the band and revisited what I call my retro-crush on John Deacon.

John Deacon with Jesus hair circa 1974? God yes.

70s disco coiffed in the Blackhawks jacket? Adorable!

Accountant in a leather jacket writing THE monster single of the 80s? Bring it!

Floofy with eyeliner in Radio Gaga? He’s perfect.

Silvered haired cowboy from The Invisible Man? Yeehaw.

Soft and tender in the Those Were the Days video? You tell me.

I mean, LOOK AT HIM. He is a beautiful man. I had a little crush on him along with Alex Lifeson back during the Hot Space/Moving Pictures early MTV era. For proof, I give you Back Chat:

Damn. 

But I wouldn't be here without the music. I grew up on Queen. My sister got News of the World on 8-track for her birthday, and The Game on vinyl. I know A Night at the Opera was on vinyl somewhere, and of course I saw all the videos for various songs from Hot Space on MTV (but no Body Language, you naughty boys), Under Pressure was in hot rotation. I briefly had the album The Works, as it was one of those cassettes that slid across the dashboard and flew out the window of my first car; I don't remember how I got it, I don't think I bought it, nor was it borrowed. Did it just change hands? And I remember I Want It All from a Pepsi commercial. Two songs in particular have been consistently on my playlists outside of the greatest hits, 39 and Sail Away Sweet Sister.

I was a Queen fan, but not a rabid one. We had the box set for a long time, but I was listening to other things. Blame it on classic rock radio fatigue: current corporate playlist formulas essentially spin the same 10 songs from the same 20 artists. Which means you grow tired of the greatest hits songs, which leads to BoRap being overplayed.

But then Bohemian Rhapsody the movie happens. It's a phenomenon and I am obsessed. My friend Peg helpfully contributes to the obsession, and hooks me up with Seaside Rendezvous, a radio show out of a hospital in England. Lynn Davis, the host, gets a giggle out of getting song requests from all over. She has a loyal following for a good reason - she mines the archives for deep album cuts, rarities, alternative takes, B sides, and more. For the Deaky birthday show, she found a rare recording of Sunny done by his first band, The Opposition when he was only 17 or 18 years old.

As for songs that shaped rock and roll, what more needs to be added? BoRap is essential to this list of course. We Will Rock You/We Are the Champions are stadium staples. Another One Bites the Dust is iconic, as is Under Pressure. The Show Must Go On has, since Freddie's death, become a victorious epitaph to a man who lived out loud. And I think the perfect rom/com trilogy would be In Only Seven Days, You and I, and You're My Best Friend. Do something with this Hallmark Channel, instead of all your sappy Christmas movies!

Hoop ditty Deaky. 

But there's so much more to the catalog, a breadth and depth where the whole band draws on a variety of influences to create a sound unlike anything else anyone was doing, from the first chugging chords of Keep Yourself Alive on Queen I to Freddie's last Yeah on Made in Heaven.

Start with Queen I and move through the catalog chronologically, then pick your favorites. You will be surprised. Mine? Well, here we go; should I just pick one song per that hasn't already been mentioned? Otherwise, this will get longer than it already is:

Queen I: LIAR! 
Queen II: don't make me choose between the White Queen or the Black Queen
Sheer Heart Attack: Stone Cold Crazy and She Makes Me
A Night at the Opera: I thought 39, but opting for The Prophet Song.
A Day at the Races: Tie Your Mother Down is trashy glam rock
News of the World: Get Down Make Love, hands down. Never has a bass line sounded so suggestive.
Jazz: Let Me Entertain You is as Broadway/Cabaret a song they ever did.
The Game: Sail Away Sweet Sister has been a favorite since 1980. 
Hot Space: Calling All Girls. And I want the Deaky Hot Space t-shirt.
The Works: I like Machines, don't come at me. 
A Kind of Magic: Who Wants to Live Forever is Brian at his most emo. Gorgeous. 
The Miracle: The Invisible Man because it makes me laugh.
Innuendo: dammit, I want to say Innuendo but Headlong is my Friday song. So both. 
Made in Heaven: A Winter's Tale. I'm skating to it. 

1997: Hurts my heart to see your sadness at this tribute. 
Remember the fans adore you Deaky. Enjoy your retirement. 

No comments:

Typing Out Loud: Being More Than

Such nice extension... you could be a dancer if you wanted, sweetie. Oh Lord, a professional football player opened mouth and inserted foot ...