Friday, September 18, 2020

The Songs That Shaped Rock and Roll, 401-410

Sass.

The Shirelles, Will You Love Me Tomorrow
The bar has been raised so high by girl groups in the 60s, I'm not sure any other girl power phase in popular music has come close. I guess the late 90s into the early aughts might come close: you had the Spice Girls and Destiny's Child as powerhouses; lots of rock bands with mixed lineup featuring female lead singers or guitarists/bassists like Garbage and Smashing Pumpkins; and the explosion of female lead singers that hasn't ebbed since, starting with Britney Spears and P!nk, up to the current crop. But no classic girl lineups... 

Simon and Garfunkel, Bridge Over Troubled Water, The Sounds of Silence
It always fascinates me that the biggest brawls in a musical act seem to come from the duos. Is it a case of a Type A overpowering the Type B until they lose their mind? These two songs seem to speak to the sensitive Big Chill boomers. Great songs. 

Paul Simon, Graceland
I know this is some big deal in world music in the late 80s, but I feel that honor is better given to George Harrision and his sitar back in the 60s. I prefer Simon's Kodachrome or Mother and Child Reunion.

Sir Douglas Quintet, She's About a Mover
First time listen, I think. This sounds like something LAV would have played before they streamlined the playlist. I like it. Seems like a simple jam that still rocks. Without looking at the video, I would say this owes a huge debt to Ray Charles. YouTube poster: She's About A Mover is what you get when Ray Charles reimagines The Beatles' She's A Woman. I don't see this as particularly innovative. 

Sister Sledge, We Are Family
This was a sweet soul hit of family togetherness in the late 70s. It has been adopted for sorority get togethers, bachelorette parties, and of course wedding receptions."I got all my Phi Gams with me!"

Percy Sledge, When a Man Loves a Woman
A classic. Adult skating story is sweet little old man Dan Brown skated to this song for years in dedication to his equally sweet wife Judy Box Brown. The sweet program was unbeatable, much to my friend Jen's chagrin. This is the power of Percy Sledge.

Sly and the Family Stone, Dance to the Music, Thank You
Pioneers of psychedelic soul, they were a massive group of musicians that could jam. So, I prefer the song Everybody is a Star, which is the flip side of Thank You, so does this also count?

Bessie Smith, Downhearted Blues
OMG, I think we have a winner for the earliest recording: 1923! Empress of the Blues, she is considered one of the greatest singers of her era. She lived life by her rules; in modern times, we wouldn't blink an eye at her success or exploits, and damn, good for her. YouTube moving on to Sugar in my Bowl. Did she just sing "I need a little hot dog between my rolls?" Damn, girl. 

No comments:

Typing Out Loud: Being More Than

Such nice extension... you could be a dancer if you wanted, sweetie. Oh Lord, a professional football player opened mouth and inserted foot ...