Tuesday, September 8, 2020

The Songs That Shaped Rock and Roll, 331-340


Young Elvis. My nephew Dylan looks a lot like him. 

Pink Floyd, Another Brick in the Wall, Money, See Emily Play
It is fascinating being exposed to the psyche of the members of Pink Floyd. World War II and drugs have done a number on these guys living in the aftermath of both. See Emily Play is very much in that 60s psychedelic sound. Money is from Dark Side of the Moon and Another Brick in the Wall is from The Wall, both EPIC albums.

I'm surrounded by Floyd fans even in my own house; I'd put myself in in the middle. I prefer Wish You Were Here, Bike, Have a Cigar, and Learning to Fly.

The Platters, The Great Pretender
I do believe I went into detail about this song in an earlier blog post, click here. Love, love, love. 



The Police, Every Breath You Take, Roxanne
The Police, as of late, have been the source of documentaries, reunion shows, and such. Amazing to think this was 40 years ago, and I don't feel like I'm that old. I did have two Police album cover school folders, along with one Loverboy album cover. Zenyata Mendotta and Ghost in the Machine. They were very cool.

Elvis Presley, Heartbreak Hotel, Jailhouse Rock, Love Me Tender, Mystery Train
He is the King for a reason, he is the blueprint for EVERYTHING to come.

On the plus side, he had charisma, a great voice, a great performer, was good looking, and very well mannered. He did the movies, television, had the comeback, did Vegas.

On the other side, he had the creepy manager who controlled his every move, made his money and fame off the talent of black singers and musicians, a drug addiction, a temper, and appetites for any number of things. While I think he played rhythm guitar, I don't think he played on any but his very early recordings. And I don't think he wrote any of his material. He is pure performance.

And his fans are rabid. I was naively unaware of this until I did a report in Humanities class my first semester in college on The Beatles, when I was heckled by an Elvis fan throughout the entire report. This guy even had his spit curl greased to perfection. I was pissed. Still, held my cool and managed to get a very large A for the report.



No comments:

Typing Out Loud: Being More Than

Such nice extension... you could be a dancer if you wanted, sweetie. Oh Lord, a professional football player opened mouth and inserted foot ...