Monday, September 21, 2020

The Songs That Shaped Rock and Roll, 411-420

Respect Patti's DILLYGAF attitude. 

Huey Smith & His Clowns, Rockin' Pneumonia and Boobie Woogie Flu

Meh.

Patti Smith, Gloria
Broken but grappling for the pieces. I do prefer Dancing Barefoot. It's funny to think as I've aged, I'm finding multifaceted artists far more appealing than the high gloss pop acts.

The Smiths, Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now
New wave Elvis. YouTube describes it as happy music + sad lyrics, which is Morrisey's calling card. He is the darling boy of my generation's emo boys, such as my friend Shannon, who loves this man's falsetto.

Sonic Youth, Teenage Riot
My first and thus far only Sweetest Day's gift was Sonic Youth's Dirty album. They were the darlings of the college alternative rock scene of the 80s and 90s. They were animated for The Simpsons and headliners on Lollapalooza.

The Soul Stirrers, By and By
From wiki: The Soul Stirrers were an American gospel group whose career spans over 80 years. They were pioneers of quartet gospel and were a major influence on soul, doo wop, and R&B. And this may be our earliest entry: this band formed in 1926! And Sam Cooke was once a member! They were inducted into the Hall of Fame in 1989.

Bruce Springsteen, Born to Run, Dancing in the Dark, Rosalita
Bruce was a big deal when I was in high school challenging Michael Jackson for popularity and his Born in the USA album. I had the poster. Born to Run was a epic tale of youth chasing dreams. My favorite of the list is of course Rosalita, easily the sister of the Gloria, the girl stone desire whose parents don't want her to run with the player in a rock and roll band, but baby he just got a big advance! I prefer a late catalog piece from the Magic album, Girls in Their Summer Clothes. 

The Standells, Dirty Water
I know nothing about this song, so I relied on the internet to educate me. The Standells were an LA garage rock band that heavily influenced The Sex Pistols and the Ramones. And Boston area sports teams adopted the song as rally anthems. During their heyday, they made cameos as The Love Bugs on the Bing Crosby Show.

The Staple Singers, Respect Yourself
There's something rich and deeply soulful about the Staple Singers, I've loved them forever, going back to the American Bandstand/Soul Train Saturday mornings. While I like Respect Yourself, I prefer I'll Take You There.

No comments:

Typing Out Loud: Being More Than

Such nice extension... you could be a dancer if you wanted, sweetie. Oh Lord, a professional football player opened mouth and inserted foot ...