Thursday, September 17, 2020

The Songs That Shaped Rock and Roll, 391-400

Bob!

The Searchers, Needles and Pins
More British Invasion stuff with guys playing guitars that are up in their armpits. Meh.

The Seeds, Pushing Too Hard
First time listening. I can hear garage, punk, that 60s organ sound that Ray Manzarek did so well, some fuzzy guitar. Is it revolutionary? Another meh from me. 

Pete Seeger, Where Have All the Flowers Gone?
Another folk protest song. Katarina Witt skated to it at the '94 Olympics, IIRC. She herself was victim of the Cold War, a performing doll for the East German regime. When the bloc broke up in the 90s, Witt was accused of being complicit to an oppressive government that gave her advantages her countrymen, including her family, were not afforded. That is when she started telling stories of every aspect of her life being controlled if not by her government, then by her coach, who was a general or something. Box of chocolates? None for you Kat. Proof that without freedom for all, even those with the most advantages, aren't really free.

Bob Seger, Night Moves
This is a glorious tale of a boy attempting to woo a dark haired beauty with deep dark eyes as friends gather in the woods to, I assume, smoke, drink, dance, and listen to music. A typical night out for a Michigan teen who is too old to stay home, and too young or too broke to get into the bars. I think he, along with Mellencamp, are the Midwestern troubadours.

One song isn't enough. Where's Turn the Page? Tryin' to Live My Life Without You? Roll Me Away? Shame on the Moon? We Got Tonight? Like a Rock? Against the Wind?

I'm thankful his biggest pop hits didn't make the list, for which I won't honor with naming except one crazy actor in his underwear and another movie about a Detroit cop in California.

And I do have a treasure: when Ed Buchanan, a legendary DJ at WLAV passed away, I made it to his garage sale, and found a promo copy of Seger's Beautiful Loser album along with a letter from the label, promising it would be a hit.

Sex Pistols, Anarchy in the UK, God Save the Queen
In reviewing all of these songs that shaped rock and roll, the mythology surrounding the Sex Pistols has faded a bit. I can appreciate their to hell with it attitude, and Johnny Rotten proves he's the talent of the outfit when he fucks off to Public Image Limited. Again, I think I suffer from second hand consumption, as I was 7 when this came out, and apparently listening to the Bay City Rollers, Queen, and the Grease soundtrack.

What I can tell is an embarrassing story of when I obtained Never Mind the Bollocks, Here Come the Sex Pistols on cassette. I got it the same weekend Carla was having a party. She told me she was inviting Steve, the guy I had a crush on in high school. I had recently broken up with Clay and nursing a broken heart. Unable to function like a normal human being, I was too nervous to eat and instead consumed copious amounts of alcohol instead. I think that is as drunk as I ever got at that point. There were shenanigans posing as a beauty queen on the roof of someone's car; I believe I relayed some bullshit about practicing luge for the 92 Olympics because I had a fake Olympic medal keychain; oh and then there was the not so clever conversation about the merits of corrugated cardboard vs. chip board - I was still right!

Alas, I did not make a good impression and it was determined by Rachel and Chuck I was in no condition to drive home, so they poured me into my Aries K, and got me home. I proceeded to cry because Clay broke my heart and I was a dumbass. I decided I needed to rebel against my heart and play the Sex Pistols, but with the volume down low, so as not to wake up my parents.

I put it on repeat, and too drunk to turn it off, laid there, head swimming, listening to the damn album for about six straight hours.

The Shadows of Knight, Gloria
How many bands have remade this gem in one way or another? Oh my, Them with Van Morrison. Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers. John Mellencamp. The local act opening for the band at the county fair. This song has taken on a life of its own, embellishments on the story to create scenarios for the lead singer to interact with the lovely lady. An unimpressed groupie being wooed by the up and coming singer. A waitress in a cocktail bar being persuaded to meet the narrator some time after midnight. Schoolgirl catcalled by a greaser in a hot rod. Scene is different, but the result is the same: he gets the girl and sings her name.

The Shangri-Las, Leader of the Pack
There needs to be a new era of the girl group. Girls with guitars telling it like it is. Will they be as cool as the Shangri-Las? And for everyone flipping out about the rappers wanting to get some, well the Shangri-Las wanted some too.

Del Shannon, Runaway
Not sure what the big deal is. I can't name another song of his. Meh.

The Shirelles, Dedicated to the One I Love
More girl groups! I learned a little bit about Gerry Goffin's wandering eye and the Shirelles in the musical about Carole King. Lots of broken hearts, which was kind of their bread and butter, so do you sing what you know? Something to ponder.

No comments:

Typing Out Loud: Being More Than

Such nice extension... you could be a dancer if you wanted, sweetie. Oh Lord, a professional football player opened mouth and inserted foot ...