Wednesday, September 9, 2020

The Songs That Shaped Rock and Roll, 341-350

70s Elvis givin' that dad vibe. 

Elvis Presley, Suspicious Minds, That's All Right
Suspicious Minds was one of Elvis' last hits, from 1969. It's intense and soulful. That's All Right was one of his first hits, and is on my adored Sun Records compilation.

The Pretenders, Brass in Pocket
I'm with Madonna, you want to be as cool as Chrissie Hynde. She named the band after the song The Great Pretender, which was a favorite of hers and her boyfriend at the time. This was their commercial breakthrough, but I thought the breezy Message of Love and hardcore Tattooed Love Boys was cooler. And yes, my tender rock and roll hear broke at 12 when Honeyman-Scott and Fardon both died of drug overdoses. Just say no, kids.

Lloyd Price, Lawdy Miss Clawdy
First time listener. Pure blues. I would love to hear a modern kid tackle this. I'm amazed at how clean and fresh this sounds.

Prince, Little Red Corvette, When Doves Cry
"Ladies and gentleman..." oh Lord, he was a phenomenon in the 80s. Purple Rain was a hit EVERYWHERE and in every possible way. At one point, he had the #1 album, #1 song, and the #1 movie. Was it Oscar-nominated? YES! Best original song score! The movie has been preserved by the National Film Registry, categorically considered one of the best movie musicals. The acting and plot, er, not as polished. I've gone on about Purple Rain, and surprised to see it wasn't listed here, but When Doves Cry was, so ok. Little Red Corvette, ok. 

What would I list in place? Obvs, Purple Rain. I Wanna Be Your Lover. Oh man, I love Computer Blue.

Procol Harum, Whiter Shade of Pale
Time capsule song, I cannot separate the 60s from this song. Video on youtube is all neru jackets, sideburns, love beads, uncomfortable closeups of young men in tight trousers. I never noticed that echo before. Boomer comments bitching about how much they hate the current generation and wish they could go back to 1967 when they were the hated upon. Hm, Summer of Love philosophies dried up a long time ago. So much for those vestal virgin visages.

Public Enemy, Fight the Power
Yeah, boiiiiii! Hardcore rap as a protest song. It's 31 years later and shit hasn't changed yet. I get the anger and cannot imagine what Chuck D and Flavor Flav are thinking right now. Same shit guys. I remember their being controversy about D calling out Elvis for stealing from black artists. Ten years later, Eminem says the same thing, then it's ok? LISTEN.

Queen Latifah, Ladies First
Before she became a celebrated actress, she became one of the first lady rappers, an old school cool customer who spread a message of empowerment. She wasn't a hanger on, a side piece, riding on anyone's coattails, she had her own message to spread and no man was going to stop her. She predates Missy Elliot, Cardi B, and Lizzo, who owe her a debt that she would graciously not accept.

? and the Mysterians, 96 Tears
I dig this song, and ? is apparently from Bay City, Michigan. It goes against the grain of previous posts where I deride a song for sounding dated. Yes, this sounds dated but I don't care, this is just weird, cool, groovy.


No comments:

Typing Out Loud: Being More Than

Such nice extension... you could be a dancer if you wanted, sweetie. Oh Lord, a professional football player opened mouth and inserted foot ...