Wednesday, September 16, 2020

The Songs That Shaped Rock and Roll, 381-390



#teamAlex

The Rolling Stones, Time is on My Side
I dunno, I would rather see Gimme Shelter here. Or a nod to the Stones being relevant into their 3rd or 4th decade by including something from Tattoo You or Voodoo Lounge. Extraordinarily grateful to say we saw them at SARstock in Toronto. Even have a Canadian flag RS t-shirt that may have to come out of retirement.

The Ronettes, Be My Baby
Absolutely, without a doubt, this one has to be on the list. There's a wistfulness, and a longing in the vocals that can only be achieved by a teenaged girl.

Roxy Music, Love is the Drug
Formed in 1970. That blows my mind. I came to the Roxy Music party late, as they were the early darlings of MTV, with Avalon and More Than This on heavy rotation. The band didn't feel like they fit in with the youth culture of the channel, very, terribly adult. Love is the Drug was a hit in 1974, so I was 4/5 at the time, which lends itself to the whole adult/child perception.

Run DMC - Walk This Way
Walk This Way was big, it was huge, it was the first instance of a collaboration between rock and rap to make it to the mainstream. Because of this hit, Run DMC went mainstream, Aerosmith's career got a resurgence, and MTV created specialty programming for the emerging genre of rap that had been around since the 70s.

Rush, Spirit of the Radio
Where do I start with this one? I live with a Rush enthusiast; by extension, since he loves them, I love them. We own all the concerts on DVD, all the concert programs, the box set, numerous inside joke t-shirts, another box set of some sort, all of Neil's books, Geddy's coffee table book of bass guitars, an instructional video on how to drum, a signed Power Windows poster, and a genuine 1980s Tempest machine all because the kid was playing one in the Subdivisions video.

I love my husband, honest and truly, and adore his infatuation. Sincerely, go buy more of their shit if it makes you happy, love.

And yes, I had a brief crush on Alex Lifeson in the 80s, and again in the 2000s. He kinda falls into the new wavey rock look with the red pants and skinny tie like John Deacon, of whom I also had a crush back then, the Crazy Little Thing to Back Chat era. But honestly girls, do our crushes ever really go away...? My Deacon/Kravitz/Hagar/Lifeson thirst is real. 

I'm unsure what kind of a Rush fan I am since most of this is by osmosis. I'm surprised Tom Sawyer, their biggest hit, isn't here instead of Spirit of the Radio. I have my own favorites:
  • YYZ
  • New World Man
  • One Little Victory
  • Caravan
Otis Rush, I Can't Quit You Baby
First exposure was of course Led Zeppelin, so I'm listening for the first time. I feel like I've known this song all my life. I wish COVID hadn't cancelled cool things like Blues on the Mall.


Mitch Ryder and the Detroit Wheels, Devil with a Blue Dress/Good Golly Miss Molly
This came out in 1966, so four years prior to my existence. Watching video on YouTube for the first time, I will admit I thought Mitch was black. And there's my backup dancers in fringe. I have a fringe dress in black and one in red. I think I need another.

Sam and Dave, Soul Man
Another song that has been around so long, that it's just become the fabric of American popular music. As a second generation consumer of the material, I just know it from endless inclusion on various movie soundtracks.

Sam the Sham and the Pharoahs, Wooly Bully
My only anecdote about this song involves Christopher Bowman, a former national figure skating champion. He did the lamest exhibition program to this song, where he would don the local sports team's jersey, flirt with a lady in the front row, mug for the cameras, do a jump or two, and hump the ice to the delight of the audience. Shudder. 

Santana, Black Magic Woman
A signature song, but I think it was originally done by Fleetwood Mac. Take it, bake it, make it your own. That guitar solo is perfection.

No comments:

Typing Out Loud: Being More Than

Such nice extension... you could be a dancer if you wanted, sweetie. Oh Lord, a professional football player opened mouth and inserted foot ...