Saturday, April 9, 2022

INT 310: Rebel Playlist: Love for Yoko Ono

Grace under pressure 

On my way to judge a skating competition this past weekend, I once again found myself listening to The Beatles channel, and the conversation was with Michelle Zauner, lead singer of the band Japanese Breakfast, and author of the memoir Crying in H Minor. The conversation turned to Yoko and Zauner's contribution to the tribute album for her.

The Get Back documentary has cleared up what I had always suspected, and what Paul McCartney and John Lennon had said all along: the break up had more to do with them growing as men and artists and had nothing to do with her sitting in the studio darning socks. 

Homewrecker? Even Cynthia admitted she didn't break anything that wasn't already broken. Lennon has stated Yoko's firm influence made him want to be a better man. And when he wanted to step out on her, Yoko chose the girl (May Pang) and told him to get lost - just throwing a Beatle to the curb, that's cold. He came crawling back. 

But Yoko is more than just a muse: in her own right, she is a composer, writer, artist, conceptual performer, and humanitarian. And don't forget, single mom after John was murdered. I can't imagine carrying on his legacy as his widow has been an easy task the last 42 years, from the memorial in Central Park to ongoing living history projects carried out while she and the remaining Beatles are still alive. Labeled the woman who broke up the Beatles, can you imagine the torches and pitchforks had she moved on with her life, past being a Beatle widow? 

I've been to one of her art shows, a fascinating mix of large installations and John Lennon memorabilia. I remember lots of black cats, all in a row and poetry hung like art. I thought I was cool. 

So, songs for you and by you, Ocean Child:

    The Beatles, I Want You (She's So Heavy)

    Barenaked Ladies, Be My Yoko Ono

    John Lennon, Woman

    Plastic Ono Band, Listen The Snow is Falling

    Yoko Ono, Kiss, Kiss, Kiss 

    John Lennon, Oh Yoko!

    Japanese Breakfast, Nobody Sees Me Like You Do

    Yoko Ono, My Man

No comments:

Best Meal I Ever Ate, Appetizers

Jim and I: seventeen-year-old gastro thrill seekers. I'm intentionally out of order with May posts to celebrate May 8 as my promaversary...