Sunday, April 10, 2022

INT 310: What's Right in the World: Our Host Family Tribe

Took #21 out for dinner last week

At the time of this writing, I have had to turn down four Whitecaps ballplayers from starting the season with us. The reason why is Oscar, our exchange student, who will be with us until mid-June when he graduates from high school. We “rescued” him from a bad living situation in order for him to complete his school year. His time with us has been a hilarious mix of empty cups, multiple boxes of Frosted Flakes, citrus fruits, and hi-jinks with his partners in crime, Diego and Felix. 

Whoever the next player is, he will be #25 on our host family roster, fitting for June, when we will celebrate our 25th wedding anniversary. That's a hell of a list of kids. 

I had no idea this would come about in 2006 when I went to order season tickets and volunteered to have a player live in our basement instead. Or answered the call to have a French figure skater go to school in our district. Or say "come check out the basement!" to a college student without a place to live. 

What can I say about the experience without breaking any confidentiality rules? The perks are great, especially creating a lifelong connection to a myriad of people that wouldn't ordinarily be in your life. To witness how they are living every day life. To think you've created a familial connection with someone, even if the connection is long or short. I know my husband particularly loves being called Dad Dave. 

No comments:

Best Meal I Ever Ate, Appetizers

Jim and I: seventeen-year-old gastro thrill seekers. I'm intentionally out of order with May posts to celebrate May 8 as my promaversary...