Wednesday, July 15, 2020

The Songs That Shaped Rock and Roll, 21-30



The Beach Boys - Good Vibrations and Surfin' USA
I think Surfin' USA is garbage, but Good Vibrations is art.

The Beastie Boys - You Gotta Fight for Your Right
That the Beasties grew as a band and as men, this entry is almost embarrassing. Throw Sabotage and Intergalactic on this list instead, cus I like my sugar with coffee and cream.

The Beatles - A Day in the Life, Help!, Hey Jude, I Want To Hold Your Hand, Norwegian Wood, Strawberry Fields Forever, and Yesterday
Oh LORD, what does a Beatles girl do with this? There's seven songs on this list, and I can make a valid argument for seven others. My blog, my rules. I'm typing drafts currently, confident that the seven songs I pick today will be altered by time this post is actually posted.

What songs to I agree with and why?

A Day in the Life - because it's EPIC. Classic Lennon and McCartney songwriting with a blast of George Martin symphony at the end.

I Want to Hold Your Hand - because that's what broke them worldwide. It's more than just classic pop at its finest moment, it's music history.

Norwegian Wood - how a boy band breaks the mold.

So I need four more.

While My Guitar Gently Weeps - first song I ever played for my son when he was about a week old and I held him for the first time.

Here, There, and Everywhere - if I could I would put the entire Revolver album here. This is classic romantic McCartney, a staple of his live shows to this day.

I Am the Walrus/Helter Skelter - cheating? Don't care. I find these two together as interesting as Penny Lane/Strawberry Fields Forever. In '67/'68, The Beatles were so huge, they were looking for places to go, and ultimately, fuck with people. I Am the Walrus came from the challenge of making something out of nothing, messing with a middle school teacher who derided rock music lyrics. Helter Skelter was Macca's response to criticism that the Beatles weren't as loud as The Who. Fine, we'll just invent metal, no big deal. "I got blistas on my fingahs!"

Side two Medley, Abbey Road - is this cheating? Again, don't care. It's got eight song snippets that blend together, a guitar jam, a drum solo, and a career coda in The End, the perfect way for the Fabs to draw the curtain on the band, Her Majesty be damned.

No comments:

Best Meal I Ever Ate, Appetizers

Jim and I: seventeen-year-old gastro thrill seekers. I'm intentionally out of order with May posts to celebrate May 8 as my promaversary...