Friday, July 17, 2020

The Songs That Shaped Rock and Roll, 31-40



The Beau Brummels - Laugh Laugh
Meh? I need an argument from someone on this one. It sounds terribly dated to me. It's the bridge between the folk musicians and the rockers.

Beck - Loser
Ok, so maybe I was a little judgmental on the sounds of the Big Chill above, this song is an anthem for Gen X. Sorry, boomer.

Jeff Beck Group - Plynth
What the awesome hell is this? Rod Stewart man! Two enthusiastic thumbs up.

The Bee Gees - Stayin' Alive
Disco classic becomes life-saving CPR anthem. One scene in an episode of The Office is hilariously iconic for how quickly it goes down hill. Worthy.

Archie Bell and the Drells - Tighten Up
I've been trying to figure out how to incorporate this song into a skating routine for at least 10 years. "Tighten up on those drums now, oh yeah." Super fun, I highly recommend.

Chuck Berry - Johnny B Goode, Maybelline, Rock n' Roll Music
The Beatles did every single one of these songs in the early years of being the bar band at a strip club in Germany. To their credit, they always ALWAYS gave props to Chuck. As we are becoming more aware of cultural appropriation, I do find it reassuring that due to my parents' penchant for greatest hits compilations on 8-tracks, I was exposed to Chuck's versions right alongside the Fabs.

The Big Bopper - Chantilly Lace
The big man was the unfortunate passenger in a plane alongside Richie Valens and Buddy Holly. Doesn't mean this song deserves a place on this list. It's songs that shaped rock and roll, don't see it. His fate, however...

Big Brother and the Holding Company - Piece of My Heart
Skipping ahead, what the hell, no Janis and Bobby McGee? I love this song, but I'd argue for Bobby to be included.

No comments:

Rethinking Orange

I have a thing for citrus Orange is... Taste:  candied grapefruit peel that is bright, citrusy, bitter, and sweet Touch: warm sunshine with ...