Friday, July 31, 2020

The Songs That Shaped Rock and Roll, 81-90

I can't think "Miss Patsy Cline" without hearing 
Sissy Spacek as Loretta Lynn say it in my head. 

Jimmy Cliff - The Harder They Come
This album soundtrack has been on so many best of lists, I can't believe this is my first time listening. It's been said this is where reggae was born. I don't know of this is true, but that seems pretty historic.

Patsy Cline - I Fall to Pieces
I can't argue with this, I mean you are talking about a grand slam of a song. It crosses genres, it's a signature piece, 60 years later.

The Clovers - Love Potion No. 9
I mean, who doesn't know this song? Is it wrong to consider this a novelty song? It's a very strong tune, and very visual. It's a popular choice in adult skating for comedy/character programs.

The Coasters - Yakety Yak
Another one of those era-defining songs. Meh.

Eddie Cochran - C'mon Everybody, Summertime Blues
Early garage and rockabilly. His spirit lives on in Brian Setzer and kids that can't quite nail an Elvis impression.

Joe Cocker - With a Little Help from My Friends
Joe had a long and glorious career, with his own songs, so I'm surprised to see a remake on the list. He brought pathos to the song that Ringo didn't, so there's that. Still, the man won an Academy award and Grammy for Up Where We Belong. He continued to perform well into late 2013, and passed in 2014 from lung cancer. Work horse.

The Contours - Do You Love Me
Another song that dates it to the 60s, and another song focusing on dancing. Fun fact: member Dennis Edwards was also in the Temptations.

Sam Cooke - A Change is Gonna Come
What's better, Sam or the song? A sublime perfect storm. Still relevant today. What's it gonna take people?

No comments:

Rethinking Orange

I have a thing for citrus Orange is... Taste:  candied grapefruit peel that is bright, citrusy, bitter, and sweet Touch: warm sunshine with ...