Sunday, July 19, 2020

The Songs That Shaped Rock and Roll, 41-50


Big Star - September Gurls
Precursor to indie bands that chicks like me fall in love with. Big Star features prominently in Rob Sheffield's memoir dedicated to his deceased wife, as this was her favorite band. As a Northern Girl, I may take a backseat to the girls from California, but I'm preferred here for my birth month.

Black Sabbath - Iron Man, Paranoid
It's amusing to see these two songs on the list a day after watching Ozzy and Jack tour South Dakota tourist attractions. Ozzy is an intuitive, intelligent man, who understands the importance of a McCartneyesque melody, but also the necessity of a hard, dark jam. For someone who operates under a guise of sweetness and light, I understand the need for darkness.

Bobby Blue Bland - Turn on Your Love Light
That opening blast - did the Blues Brothers pay him a little homage in the song Everybody Needs Someone to Love? Just when I think I'm up on my musical history, I get a sax blast of education. Dude, this rules. And to think I thought this would be some soft rock Neil Diamond thing.

Blondie - Heart of Glass
One of my proudest, most surreal moments in life was front row at a Blondie show, and Debbie Harry points to me and sings "oh you know her, would you look at that hair," the opening line to Rip Her to Shreds. My heart shrieks just a little. But this song...? Give me Rapture or Call Me.

Kurtis Blow - The Breaks
Being a middle of the country small town suburban girl, I missed most of the cultural revolution of rap, only hearing songs like this as background soundtrack tunes for edgy teenage dramas that never played first-run at our one of two movie theaters, but on repeat once it made it to HBO.

Gary US Bonds - Quarter to Three
Gary US Bonds was one of those rare performers who had a late in life top 40 hit in the 80s with This Little Girl is mine. My parents probably thought I was charmingly clueless raving about Bonds like I discovered something new. You can hear what Springsteen took away in inspiration.

Booker T. & The MGs - Green Onions
The cultural significance of this song is fascinating to contemplate. It was a hit back in its day, used on the period soundtrack, but has also found life with sampling and rappers and Lord knows where else.

Boston - More Than a Feeling
Such a staple of classic rock, I feel myself resisting it in favor of personal favorites like Can't Ya Say, but this is one grandiose debut from a group of fussy session musicians.

David Bowie - Fame
One of the most iconic personalities in music. You can't fight it.

No comments:

Rethinking Orange

I have a thing for citrus Orange is... Taste:  candied grapefruit peel that is bright, citrusy, bitter, and sweet Touch: warm sunshine with ...