Thursday, July 30, 2020

The Songs That Shaped Rock and Roll, 71-80


I love how this exercise has exposed me to remarkable people like Jimmy Cliff. 

Ray Charles - Hallelujah I Love Her So, I Got a Woman, What'd I Say
Three choices above reproach.

Chubby Check - The Twist
This is one of those songs that could suck you down a rabbit hole trying to find other dance classics. Was used by the rap group The Fat Boys in the 80s. He turned this into a dance franchise.

Chic - Le Freak
I remember this was a hit when I was about 10. It contributes to my memory of 1979 being particularly sunny. I remember dancing to it, a lot.

Charlie Christian and the Benny Goodman Orchestra - Solo Flight
I love big band and blues guitar - but together?! Good on them! So glad to see this entry here. First time hearing this, I can't imagine what the cool cats and kittens thought of it back then.

Eric Clapton - After Midnight
I'm sure this isn't the first time we will see Clapton appear here, I already added him to the list back when I discussed the Beatles and inserted While My Guitar Gently Weeps. After Midnight has been played to death, and I prefer The Core.

Dave Clark Five - Glad All Over
Pardon me for thinking of them as the American take on the Beatles. They go in a different direction, it's a little harder, a little more sonically shouty. Not my favorite band by any means, but I get it.

The Clash - London Calling
I'm surprised there's not more Clash on this list. Let us exalt the lone entry.

Jimmy Cliff - Many Rivers to Cross
Holy shit. My heart is broken and I don't know why.

No comments:

Rethinking Orange

I have a thing for citrus Orange is... Taste:  candied grapefruit peel that is bright, citrusy, bitter, and sweet Touch: warm sunshine with ...