Tuesday, July 28, 2020

The Songs That Shaped Rock and Roll, 51-60

Ruth was a stunner. 

Took a little vacation! And I'm back to spin my opinion.

David Bowie - Space Oddity and Ziggy Stardust
I can't argue with any Bowie inclusion, I just can't. If I did, it would be to include The Man Who Sold the World or Jean Genie.

The Box Tops - The Letter
Dated. Meh.

Charles Brown - Driftin' Blues
Listening for the first time. This is a recording from 1945. I can see this as a blues building block.

James Brown - I Got You (I Feel Good); Please, Please, Please; and Say It Loud, I'm Black and Proud
Knowing what I know about the civil rights movement and knowing Say it Loud was James' response to it, it really is astonishing. My first thought is of the naysayers who argue in the social and political arena that artists and celebrities should keep their mouths shut. This is exhibit A of why they shouldn't. I cannot imagine the bravery and the balls it took to release this song when he did.

Ruth Brown - Mama, He Treats Your Daughter Mean
My exposure to Ruth Brown was her portrayal as Motormouth Maybelle in the first (and best) version of John Waters' Hairspray. These small roles in movies are an education and homage to artists people wouldn't otherwise get. I need to hear more Ruth Brown, teach the white children how to dance.

Jackson Browne - Late for the Sky
I have a fun exchange with my coworker Nick, where I defend what I consider the trifecta of 70s singer/songwriters: John Denver, Jim Croce, and Gordon Lightfoot. The sphere of influence needs to expand to include Jackson Browne. Honestly, this is the first time I've heard this particular song. I'm unfamiliar with this one and I like it, but I'm surprised The Pretender isn't here instead.

Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth
A protest song from 1966 about police brutality. It's 54 years later. *sigh*

No comments:

Best Meal I Ever Ate, Appetizers

Jim and I: seventeen-year-old gastro thrill seekers. I'm intentionally out of order with May posts to celebrate May 8 as my promaversary...