Wednesday, July 1, 2020

Todd's - closed


Sangria

What was Todd's looks like a salvage yard. Aerial view reveals where the building was, including parking and the circle drive where you could drop off your date, or even better, valet in order to make your reservation on time.  

Sigh. I wish there were more, so I will tell you about the first time I drank sangria. It was on a date with my then-boyfriend-now-husband, whose father decided to come along. I didn't mind, as they were running an errand in the city, and it was an opportunity to see him, as I had already graduated and he was still in school over an hour north. 

The place? The Beltline Bar, for Tex-Mex. You could get sangria by the glass, but it was better by the pitcher. 

At that point in our relationship, I was extremely well behaved and polite with his parents, on the cusp of over presenting myself as the prim and proper, suitable for marrying type. Until the man kept feeding me the fruit at the bottom of the pitcher. 

We whooped. We hollered. We ordered pitcher after pitcher. I was poured out of the car at my apartment complex, certain I tarnished my reputation forever. 

Ney sez he to my love: you may marry the vibrant lass. 

And that's the story of day drinking that became night drinking with my future father in law. God love ya, Phil. 

Sangria
  • 3 oz. red burgundy
  • 1/2 oz. dry sherry
  • 1/2 oz. grenadine
  • 1/2 oz. sweet and sour mix
  • 1/2 oz. OJ
  • 1 lemon wedge
  • 1 lime wedge
  • 1 orange slice
  • 1 maraschino cherry
Pour all but the fruit in a cocktail shaker over ice. Shake well. Strain over ice cubes into 14 oz. glass. Twist lemon wedge and drop in glass. Garnish with the rest of the fruit. 

No comments:

Best Meal I Ever Ate, Appetizers

Jim and I: seventeen-year-old gastro thrill seekers. I'm intentionally out of order with May posts to celebrate May 8 as my promaversary...