Wednesday, July 29, 2020

The Songs That Shaped Rock and Roll, 61-70


Seriously, is the greatest hits album just remixes of this song?

Solomon Burke - Everybody Needs Somebody to Love
I know this song from the Blue Brothers soundtrack. It's one of those moments when you wish they had included him in a cameo in the movie. His delivery is powerful, soul that went to church on Sunday.

Johnny Burnette Trio - The Train Kept a-Rollin'
I know this from the Aerosmith version from the 70s. It's from 1956, and pure rockabilly. Plus, the video on youtube has Bettie Page.

The Byrds - Eight Miles High, Hickory Wind, and Mr Tambourine Man
First off, I hate Mr. Tambourine Man. That's based on a movie I stayed up to watch, one of those CBS Sunday Night movies, a thriller that used this song on the soundtrack. Shudder.

Hickory Wind, first time listening. This is beautiful. This falls into that not quite country, but definitely not rock. Oh, that slide guitar.

Eight Miles High is one of those songs so synonymous with the 60s, that it just feels dated.

Johnny Cash - Folsom Prison Blues, I Walk the Line
Pretty much anything Johnny Cash should be on the list and fit perfectly. Since this list dates from the mid-90s, it misses his remake of Hurt.

The Champs - Tequila
Party anthem. Totally belongs. I caused a sensation at my friend's wedding flirting with his brother and doing the big shoe dance on top of a wall at the reception at Jackson Community College. People whooped and hollered, but alas, he was unimpressed.

Gene Chandler - Duke of Earl
Another song that while dated, is particularly awesome. Some of those falsettos I can't even hit. The youtube video has backup singers/dancers in Keds and pedal pushers. Those bouffants!

The Chantays - Pipeline
Surf music, I think Little Steven uses this as his intro music for the Underground Garage. I don't know if it is particularly groundbreaking, as the youtube video has people talking more about surfing than the music.

No comments:

Rethinking Orange

I have a thing for citrus Orange is... Taste:  candied grapefruit peel that is bright, citrusy, bitter, and sweet Touch: warm sunshine with ...