Saturday, December 11, 2021

2021 Moment of Joy, part 5

Not all family portraits include five ball players. Ours does.

Being a Whitecaps host family has meant I can call some 21 men my baseball sons. 

This fall, we took a trip to New York to see Niagara Falls, the Baseball Hall of Fame, and swung through Erie, hoping to see at least one of our former players. Instead, we saw four: Dane on first, Corey on second, Andrew at short, and Andre at third. As an added treat, we saw Andre’s parents and Dane’s girlfriend Mallory.


The lineup from 9/16/21

The reception from the guys was no less than amazing. Dave walked down to the field, and they all cheered and asked where Will and I were. I practically danced down the aisle and was greeted by each with a big bear hug. 

After the game, they gave me a game ball, and each of the boys signed it and presented it to me as a birthday present. Dane purposely broke a bat in order to gift it to Will. Andrew wondered where his Cinnamon Toast Crunch was. It's in the mail. 

No comments:

Best Meal I Ever Ate, Appetizers

Jim and I: seventeen-year-old gastro thrill seekers. I'm intentionally out of order with May posts to celebrate May 8 as my promaversary...