Wednesday, December 22, 2021

Moment of Joy 2021, part 14

Earning the headache.

Once I decide my day is done, I will have the next 12 days off from work. 

And I don't feel bad about that one bit. As a matter of fact, I feel pretty damn terrific. 

I started my status in the world of work in food service, then moved to retail. Long hours, weird schedules and being in high school and then college, covering summer vacations for the regulars. 

Graduating into my career, I was stuck in the two weeks of vacation per year rut until I started at the hospital. 

And then I really paid the karma dues. I've worked third shifts on Christmas, first shifts on New Years, second shifts on Thanksgiving. I fielded the drunken phone calls on Memorial Day, Labor Day, and 4th of July. I've pulled doubles when people were no shows. And I've had to forego a bathroom break for 7 hours because I was working alone. 

I updated my resume shortly after that particular shift. 

Extremely grateful for this time off. 

No comments:

Best Meal I Ever Ate, Appetizers

Jim and I: seventeen-year-old gastro thrill seekers. I'm intentionally out of order with May posts to celebrate May 8 as my promaversary...