Wednesday, December 29, 2021

Moment of Joy 2021, part 19



Will’s band concert lit a fire under me to resume practicing guitar. I took lessons from 1979 to probably 1980. I remember struggling with my hands being too small, but I also didn’t “get” the musical memory of what an A should sound like.

I was also lazy as hell, and would rather read books or ride my bike instead of practicing scales.

I am determined to give it 15 minutes a day, and have practiced at least that daily for 10 days in a row now. I’ve mastered maybe the first two strings, and am getting a solid grip on 3-6. I’ve got a few songs I can play off my old rehearsal book like Kumbaya and Amazing Grace. 

What am I trying to accomplish? Maybe like learn to skate back in 1998, just the basics and see where that takes me. There’s certainly no Adult Nationals for basic guitar. But like figure skating, just keep learning and exercising the old noodle to find a new skill.

So maybe I will suck at two sports and a musical instrument. But I will keep on trying. Hey, I learned how to make apple pie this year after all…

No comments:

Best Meal I Ever Ate, Appetizers

Jim and I: seventeen-year-old gastro thrill seekers. I'm intentionally out of order with May posts to celebrate May 8 as my promaversary...