Friday, March 18, 2022

INT 310: Experiential Learning, results

She's not much to look at now... 

How did the experience relate to my creativity
Seeing the art of everyday life.

Making lists of chores that need to be done to make this more our home away from home, like putting together the deck furniture, planning where to plant the roses, and setting up the beer fridge in the barn.

Witnessing nature storylines unfurl before me:

When will the ice break on the river?

Who’s winning the war on corn - turkeys, squirrels, or the birds of flight?

Watching the colors begin to change from grays and white to yellowish-greens.


How did the project relate to the course
Curiosity - what would I see?

Engagement - I had to be present for 30 minutes at a time to observe and discover

Reflection - making notes on what was important to the project

Develop - worked on my patience and power of observation

Explore - I spent a lot more time looking at things I hadn’t paid attention to in the past

Commitment - I enjoyed the process, and consider continuing this record of seasonal changes


What did I learn?
I am an impatient person when it comes to doing projects, and I’m eager to get it done and over with. By stretching the project out over two weekends and three different times of day, for 30 minutes at a time, I forced myself to take the time to listen, observe, and record.

I learned Mother Nature goes by her own time frame. My hopes were to record winter giving way to spring, when the end result was more winter and spring fighting for seasonal supremacy.

Winter is my least favorite season, but by giving it some time and recording the nuances, appreciate the beauty of the season.

Cold medicine is the worst.

By staying still, I became more aware of myself: the sound of my breathing, the crunch of my boot, the smell of my own perfume.

And by the looks of it, I became obsessed with capturing the perfect furl of the pink flag on the surveyor stake.

No comments:

Best Meal I Ever Ate, Appetizers

Jim and I: seventeen-year-old gastro thrill seekers. I'm intentionally out of order with May posts to celebrate May 8 as my promaversary...