Wednesday, March 9, 2022

INT 310: Why Art Matters, Tool Rock Show

The band.

VIP is the way to be. Me, Greg, Dave, and Will. 

Last night, we went to see the rock band Tool at the Van Andel Arena. I know two songs, so I’m outing myself as a non-fan. But it was VIP in a suite, and a rock show, so I couldn’t pass it up.

Not knowing the set, coupled with the band’s no recording policy, I focused on the performance. I have owned an iPhone since 2009, so it was definitely an exercise in restraint; smart phones have collectively become an extra appendage in our society.

Candid of dad and son taking it all in. 

The band opened on a half circle stage, surrounded by a fringe curtain, which allowed them to be seen while video was projected on the curtain. As a Gen-Xer familiar with their video work, it was their trademark stop motion animation and a mesmerizing swirl of psychedelic imagery. 

Last song of the night, we were encouraged to take photos after all. 

The music was hypnotic, loud, and deeply melodic, I called it moody indie metal; John Sincovics calls it psychedelic prog. The whole band was intense. The drummer had to be one of the most precise, thunderous players of his craft. The band’s music is heavy on bass and watching the bass player, looking like an indie Amish farmer was something to behold. The guitarist played on the far left of the stage, so I wasn’t able to observe him as well. The lead singer, who grew up in West Michigan and went to Kendall, sported a red mohawk and powerful vocals, all while admitting “I’m 57, acting like I’m 27, and feeling 47.” 

Lots of pot smoking, including the enthusiastic pair of kids sitting directly in front of us. I nicknamed one of them Jesse Pinkman "yeah, bro!"

Even though the Tool sound is gloomy, the crowd was joyful, jubilant even. There were people in the crowd applauding my husband for bringing our son, a present for his 13th birthday. “Dad of the year!” dude with big beer shouted while pointing at him. This man also helpfully collected Tool Trash.

Will capturing confetti, a.k.a., Tool Trash.

Tool Trash? During the second half of the set (there was an intermission), large pieces of confetti rained down on the crowd, gentle flutters of silver, gold and printed tissue paper. I was trying to catch the slips of paper as they floated my way. Noting the art deco design, I slipped them in my clutch to examine later. 

What it's supposed to look like if you collect enough of the pieces.

The confetti is actually a poster! My husband said, admiringly, "These guys are on top of everything." 

What I caught.  Dave's birthday is coming up, what can I create with this?

So it was a great night, and I learned a few artistic tricks from some masters. 

No comments:

Best Meal I Ever Ate, Appetizers

Jim and I: seventeen-year-old gastro thrill seekers. I'm intentionally out of order with May posts to celebrate May 8 as my promaversary...