Thursday, March 10, 2022

INT 310: Reflecting on Creativity with Taika Waititi

 

Former stand up comedians are determined to save the world. 

Can I relate to Waitit's confusion on what to talk about in relation to his own work? Yes, because many times when you are compelled to create, there may be no reason, no how, no why, just that it had to happen, the idea had to come out of your head. 

Many people use humor as a coping mechanism to handle fear, disappointment, stressors. I used it as a means to get through cancer treatments. 

I have not thought of possible social and cultural norms for creativity. I can tell you that when deciding on a major, my father insisted that if I wanted to be creative, at least get a business degree that was geared towards making a living out of it. 

The phrase "all I have is creativity" doesn't really resonate with me, because at least for me and for the people I would consider creative, they have life skills that make creativity applicable. Examples around me: my husband, who is a storyteller when he speaks at business meetings. My mother in law, who created a Mardi Gras necklace out of green tissue paper and candy for my son't birthday. My sister, who can create a feast out of kitchen leftovers. Our exchange student son, carefully journaling his exploits for his mom back in Germany. My son, who creates games using a 2-liter bottle and some reflector tape. 

No comments:

Best Meal I Ever Ate, Appetizers

Jim and I: seventeen-year-old gastro thrill seekers. I'm intentionally out of order with May posts to celebrate May 8 as my promaversary...