Saturday, March 19, 2022

INT 310: Why Art Matters, Tieks shoes

Go ahead and ask about the peens...

For context, I grew up with corrective shoes. From age 6 to age 13, my choice of footwear was reduced to black, brown, or saddle shoe, purchased from Miller's Shoes in Jackson. I typically chose brown.

At least the sign was cool.

I'll be honest, I don't even know who prescribed the shoes. My pediatrician? I don't remember a podiatrist. The only explanation I ever got was that I was knock-kneed, flat footed, and double jointed, one step away from the steel braces the kids wore pictured on the Lions Club charity cans next to cash registers. 

And only one pair per year, because they were Very Expensive. At least the cashier gave me a token to get a prize out of the Red Goose, which presented oversized gumball machine prizes for the mortified children who were unable to sport more fashionable attire. 


The ultimate fashion consolation prize. 

When I reached high school, I was freed from the shackles of the orthopedic shoe. I wore moccasins, boots, booties, ballet flats, Nikes, jellies, clogs, slip ons, flip flops, huarache sandals, wedges, heels, boat shoes, oxfords, and if I felt like it, I went barefoot. 

I definitely upped my shoe game. 

So imagine my joy as an adult when, after having made 400 masks at the beginning of the pandemic, the Tieks company gifted me with a $100 gift card towards the purchase of a pair of their ballet flats. 

These too, are Very Expensive. 

But colors! Comfort! Fashion! FUN! They are beautiful Italian leather shoes handmade and delivered in blue gift boxes, with drawstring pouches for storage, and blue totes for your other things.  

My first pair was mustard yellow, a sunshine choice at the beginning of COVID. "These are too much, I couldn't possibly..." 

My salute to the Ukraine.

Then I got another gift card for completing a year of health coaching. "It's better than buying a box of chocolates..." So I purchased cobalt. 

Happy birthday from my mom and mother in law, plus a gift card for judging a skating competition. "Well it IS my birthday..." and then I owned the Aquarellas, at top, inspired by Italian watercolors. 

Part of Tieks Anonymous culture: Tieks in the Wild. 

More skating gift cards and a job promotion! I got cotton candy.  

The shoes create their own mania among fans. Each box is delivered topped with a festive flower or limited edition box topper such as a crown. They will randomly send a gift to clients, like a teal blue mask as a thank you to those who participated in the mask making initiative. They create excitement by teasing the next release over the course of a week or so, with a release at midnight that has many fans sleeping with a credit card under their pillow. Right now, fans in facebook groups are exclaiming about getting a free sheet of stickers, igniting the 11 year old in me to say I Need Those Stickers. 

The facebook groups have turned into curious support systems of shoe lovers who see each other through life's little troubles, especially if they can trade for a pair Seafield checks. 

If they are well cared for, aftermarket resale value remains high. I don't want to defend my purchases by saying they are an investment, but one shoe - ONE! - can easily sell for $75 on Poshmark, a lonely shoe looking for a partner after the other was unceremoniously chewed by the family dog. 

I have judged two skating events this month and have two more coming, so I anticipate more gift cards. The question is, what's next: Poppy v. Tangerine? Or is it Olive v. Clover? But I don't own any metallics... yet. 

No comments:

Best Meal I Ever Ate, Appetizers

Jim and I: seventeen-year-old gastro thrill seekers. I'm intentionally out of order with May posts to celebrate May 8 as my promaversary...