Tuesday, March 22, 2022

INT 310: Typing Out Loud, Art in the Wild

What can I play for you?

Driving this weekend to judge a skating competition, I reflected on creative inspiration and finding art where I could. This may be nothing more than a collective, stream-of-consciousness glimpse of brilliance.

Bare trees in the fog, few pale orange leaves still clinging to branches.

Eight songs a week on the Beatles channel - the theme is Girl in the title or lyrics! I was expecting the song Girl to be number 1, but it's number 3. Huh.

Yeah, I’d like to meet Paul McCartney.

What would I say to him? Thank you, for one. How he could put Here There and Everywhere and For No One on the same record?

I picked up a rhinestone in the bathroom that had come off a competition dress. Out in the lobby, another. Before long, I had a pocket full of stars. 

I was heartened to run into some of my adult skating friends who invited me to skate with them since I’m struggling to find ice. It was nice to be included. 

On the first day of spring, I want flowers. 

Announcers Sue and Dave were in officials' hospitality and told me the story of when they began courting. Sue had two Dave suitors, but only one who dared give her a Valentine. Is it wrong to say as a couple, they are charming, adorable even?

I grant you grace and compassion, novice women. The teenage years are hard on skater bodies.

My fine lines have gotten a little deeper on my face. Damn.

I watched Austin City Limits going to bed last night and discovered the artist Jackie Venson, a black girl with an electric guitar. I need to know more. 

I got a new songbook for guitar, pop standards. Copacabana looks to be an entertaining challenge. 

I played my first Temptations song, and it was Just My Imagination!

Was just asked to judge the collegiate national championships. I'm stoked to be getting good assignments. 

Was also invited to the AOPi sorority all-you-can-eat spaghetti fundraiser. 

A guest at the cottage, when shutting it down after use, cut all the power last week. FIVE DAYS AGO. We feared the worst and ran up to the cottage with a trash bag. We still had ice cubes in the bag of ice, the freezer was saved! The pie filling had thawed but was still icy, so I made a crumble with the last of the apples last night. We had to throw away all the stuff in the fridge though. New season, a new pickle relish. And ketchup. And mustard. And salad dressing. But that coffee creamer was new, I only had one cup out of it... 

I read one of the week's assignments on burnout, and man can I relate.

No comments:

Best Meal I Ever Ate, Appetizers

Jim and I: seventeen-year-old gastro thrill seekers. I'm intentionally out of order with May posts to celebrate May 8 as my promaversary...