Sunday, March 20, 2022

INT 310: What’s Right in the World: Talented Friends

I know her!

In the journey towards completing the Leadership degree, I’ve done a lot of work alone, online. But that doesn’t mean I haven’t made friends. 

Let me introduce you to badass Emily Haines Lloyd. She and I met in the first Leadership class, where we competed to see who would post homework assignments first. Lead a group discussion. Offer support. We were classmates for three classes in a row, and I desperately hoped to see her in this last class, but she took a different route toward completion. Then she pulls the ultimate, killer move: oh hey, Amazon has my book for sale today for $5.

Yeah, I bought it.

Titled “Pep Talk Poetry,” it’s positivity without being toxic. The prose within acknowledges your struggles, imposter syndrome, exposed bra strap, the extra pounds, the speeding ticket, and your frustrations to simply say, “girl, you’re good.” 

Some of the poems are long, riding an inspiration for one or two pages. Some, a line or two. It’s all that was needed. 

Today’s poem made me laugh, and I can hear her voice in one of her response threads saying, “Heyyyyy Melissa… not an option: you cannot fail. You can only fuck things up a little.”

No comments:

Best Meal I Ever Ate, Appetizers

Jim and I: seventeen-year-old gastro thrill seekers. I'm intentionally out of order with May posts to celebrate May 8 as my promaversary...