Monday, August 3, 2020

The Songs That Shaped Rock and Roll, 91-100

Oh Mr. Cooke, you send me...

Sam Cooke - Bring it On Home to Me, You Send Me
I love Sam Cooke and Otis Redding. Any number of songs on this list from them is ok by me.

Alice Cooper - Eighteen
School's Out has become a better anthem. You and Me demonstrates that he was capable of pulling off a cool ballad. Fun story: met him at a Detroit Tigers game during the early aught terrible years. They were playing the Twins and mired in last place. Vincent was there to throw out the first pitch and drum up interest in his charity golf outing. Rain delay, and we are hanging out with Alice Cooper in the stands, and Dave is talking to him about his golf game and what driver he's using. Fan comes up and wants to talk rock and roll, and he wants to talk about Big Berthas.

Elvis Costello - Pump It Up
Sauve yet punky. He's an artist with a couple of hits that if you scratch the surface, you will be blown away by the breadth and depth. Banned from Saturday Night Live, married to a fellow musician, cameos in pop culture comedies. That's how you build a storied career.

The Count Five - Psychotic Reaction
One of those songs I've heard a million times but have never attributed to any one band. A frequent spin on Little Steven's Underground Garage. I love a filthy harmonica. It's garage, it's surf, it's that hard mid-60s beat sound.

Country Joe and the Fish - The Fish Cheer
What the actual fuck? Ohhhhhhh, it's the Vietnam protest song. It's one of those songs that while important what rock music was attempting to do in protesting the establishment, this is eh. Nice kazoo action.

Don Covey - Mercy Mercy
Youtube posters saying Jimi Hendrix on guitar. From 1964. Admittedly, a first listen for me, but I feel like I've heard this song in spirit for a God's age.

Cream - Crossroads, Sunshine of Your Love
Ugh, more Eric Clapton? I feel like the dog pissing on the wall on the back of Slow Hand. I blame AOR stations; mix it up or else we grow tired of these titles.

No comments:

Best Meal I Ever Ate, Appetizers

Jim and I: seventeen-year-old gastro thrill seekers. I'm intentionally out of order with May posts to celebrate May 8 as my promaversary...