Tuesday, August 4, 2020

The Songs That Shaped Rock and Roll, 101-110


The fabulous Crystals.

Creedence Clearwater Revival - Fortunate Son, Green River, Proud Mary
More Vietnam protest songs. These are so tied to period movies, you can't separate them, at least if you aren't from that generation.

Crosby, Stills & Nash - Suite: Judy Blue Eyes, Ohio
Suite: Judy Blue Eyes is a classic. Ohio is another song from the Vietnam/Watergate era. Historical, which is enough for it to be included here. Given our present times, wondering what significant musical contribution modern era musicians will make, the bar has been set.

The Crows - Gee
First time listening. Sounds like the blueprint for the doowop era to follow. Not the best song of its genre, is it here because it was the first? A trip to wiki: The group's first single and only major hit, "Gee", released in June 1953, has been credited with being the first rock n’ roll hit by a rock and roll group. Hm, I always thought it was Rocket 88 or Rock Around the Clock. If they are the first rock and roll group with a rock and roll hit, they would also be considered the first one hit wonder of the rock and roll era, wouldn't you think?

The Crystals - Da Doo Run Run, He's a Rebel
I love them. But the joyful And Then He Kissed Me not on the list? No way.

Culture Club - Time
I lived this in real time back in the 80s. Oh, my sweet friend Carrie Gorney loved Boy George, even though he was oh so very gay. I get it now, he is a very handsome man, see below. BG was a cultural sensation in the 80s, voice of an angel, truly had society tackling ambiguous sexual orientation as a culture.

I'm not sure if I'm saying it right, so I'm kind of winging my perspective. 

In the 70s, gay pop stars were very wink-wink-nudge-nudge, and by time Boy showed up in the 80s he was OUT and proud. He paved the way for many artists to be true to themselves like Phranc, Bronski Beat, Melissa Etheridge, and Erasure. Other sectors of society are still catching up. The music was fabulous and he was not one to back down or be coy. 

But the suave reggae of Do You Really Want to Hurt Me belongs here, as this song was HUGE, and broke the band all over the world. I find this song so much more important, as his powerful voice simply could not be ignored.

Dick Dale and the Del Tunes - Let's Go Trippin'
More surf music from 1960. It's 60 years later, and I don't hear where this is culturally significant. Pass. 

Just one more before we go: Culture Club has aged well.

No comments:

Best Meal I Ever Ate, Appetizers

Jim and I: seventeen-year-old gastro thrill seekers. I'm intentionally out of order with May posts to celebrate May 8 as my promaversary...