Thursday, August 13, 2020

The Songs That Shaped Rock and Roll, 161-170


Aretha Franklin, I Never Loved a Man the Way that I Love You, Respect
I don't like when lists like this overrepresent an artist, but in this case, I feel like there's not enough Aretha. Where's Think or Until You Come Back to Me or Chain or Fools or Say a Little Prayer or Natural Woman?

I'm so glad I had to work from home on the day of her funeral and was able to watch and revel in the sheer glow of her starpower. They renamed a park in Detroit for her, and I was so pleased that my race that October went through it, and I was able to celebrate her.

Free, All Right Now
Oh, Paul Rodgers. All Right Now is a classic rock radio staple, and I was fed a steady dose of his work with Bad Company prior to making the connection that he was lead singer for both bands. Critics didn't seem to love Bad Co for some reason, but Rodgers' silky vocals made any listen worth it.

The Bobby Fuller Four, I Fought the Law
Maybe not being from the generation that experienced this as a hit first time around, I see this as more of a novelty song than anything else. I don''t get it and in the current climate, eh.

Lowell Fulson, Reconsider Baby
Prepared to write this one off as just another blues single, but fond myself doing the cakewalk in the kitchen while preparing dinner. Well played Mr. Fulson.

Funkadelic, One Nation Under a Groove
We missed the opportunity to see Funkadelic no less than three times - St Louis, Kalamazoo, and Grand Rapids. And with the band getting older and this damn pandemic, chances are getting ever slimmer. My backwards introduction to the band was the stupid movie PCU. And what is the difference between Funkadelic and Parliament Funkadelic? Anyway, this jams.

Peter Gabriel, Biko
He's got a magic voice, and in rock-meets-social-justice, this song is important, yet doesn't get the play that more popular songs do, like In Your Eyes, Sledgehammer, or Games Without Frontiers.

Cecil Grant, We're Gonna Rock
First time listening. Got some boogie woogie piano. Lyrics very basic. Eh?

Marvin Gaye, I Heard it Through the Grapevine, Sexual Healing
I love him, and greedily wish some of his duets with Tammi Terrell were included. She herself deserves her own biopic. Marvin too deserves a biopic, but don't doubt for a moment that the music is the reason for the affection.

No comments:

Best Meal I Ever Ate, Appetizers

Jim and I: seventeen-year-old gastro thrill seekers. I'm intentionally out of order with May posts to celebrate May 8 as my promaversary...