Wednesday, August 26, 2020

The Songs That Shaped Rock and Roll, 251-260

I heart The Kinks

Oh, we're halfway there!

The Kinks, You Really Got Me
Random story: my friend Anne from high school was getting quite tired of some of the stupid sophomoric actions by some of the boys in our biology class. For some reason, she belted this song out, and they left her alone. I really should have tried that.

Kiss, Rock and Roll All Nite
My feelings about Kiss are conflicted. I love the songs Hard Luck Woman and New York Groove. And I Was Made for Loving You figures into the stories of my teen angst; its use in the Umbrella Academy had my inner teen screaming. Some of their more popular songs, like this one, I couldn't care less. And the stories of how poorly they treat each other are pathetic.

Buddy Knox, Party Doll
I remember this song from repeat watchings of the movie American Graffiti. It's sweet, it's catchy, it's pretty innocent. Nothing released today could even compare. Nice little rockabilly bridge too.

Kraftwerk, Autobahn
I've heard it, it's 22 minutes long. Isn't this the birth of industrial music? I wonder if I can skate to this? It's an industrial symphony I don't quite want to turn away from yet. When did this come out? 1974?!? NOTHING sounded like this at the time, closest I could possibly come would be King Crimson or ELP, but then they progged that shit out, and this is very clean.

Whoa, at the 8 minute mark, it gets really interesting! I'm mesmerized!

Auuuuuutoooooo Bahhhhhhhhhhhn... Auuuuuutoooooo Bahhhhhhhhhhhn...!

LL Cool J, Mama Said Knock You Out
LL was a pioneer of early rap in the 80s, just a cute kid with some great hooks. He got a bit more hard rock and aggressive with this one. This song gets me revved up, and is consistently on my running playlists, getting my fat ass over the finish line. Oooo, sucka.

Cyndi Lauper, Girls Just Want to Have Fun
Second time referencing my sophomore year in high school in as many posts... Anyway, in Speech class, we were asked to write a short presentation on who you admire, and Cyndi was my subject. Why? She's creative, bright, crazy, fun, and could be entirely unique and introspective. She was who I was a little too bashful to become at that time, but the paint was starting to be applied to the canvas. Thank you allowing me to not be like every other girl.

Lead Belly, The Midnight Special
I think my introduction to this came second hand, again, this time from Creedence Clearwater Revival. It's a good song.

Sorry, still listening to Kraftwerk....

Led Zeppelin, Dazed and Confused, Rock and Roll, Stairway to Heaven
Just remember girls: if a boy tells you it's unladylike to listen to Led Zeppelin, BREAK UP WITH HIM. That is all. Oh, and Jimmy Page's curls are divine.

No comments:

Rethinking Orange

I have a thing for citrus Orange is... Taste:  candied grapefruit peel that is bright, citrusy, bitter, and sweet Touch: warm sunshine with ...