Monday, August 17, 2020

The Songs That Shaped Rock and Roll, 181-190

I'm Team Duff McKagan, I think Dave is Team Slash

Guitar Slim, The Things I Used to Do
First time listening, from 1953. It's got the rock song structure, guitar solo. How to put it, it's got blood to it.

Guns n' Roses, Welcome to the Jungle
The song that broke them. This was huge back in '87. They did the hard rock/glam rock thing for a while, but they quickly dropped the Aqua Net and did their own dirty, gritty LA thing. Personally, I prefer Patience, November Rain, or Sweet Child of Mine, but I get this being their entry here.

Woody Guthrie, Pastures of Plenty, Pretty Boy Floyd, This Land is Your Land
His importance as one of the founding fathers of popular music cannot be denied. It's folk and basically invents protest music. It's relevant 90 years later. His son Arlo wisely continued dad's legacy in his own way, with songs like Alice's Restaurant.

Bill Haley & the Comets, Rock Around the Clock
Second generation introduction was the opening credits to the sitcom Happy Days. I think it's more rockabilly than pure rock, but those early days are fascinating in how the sound came to be.

Slim Harpo, Rainin' in My Heart
Now that's some harmonica! As sharp as that was, the vocals come in surprisingly soft. Gentle plea for his sweetheart to come home.

Wynonie Harris, Good Rockin' Tonight
From 1948! The Beatles of course covered it, which means they picked it up from the guys at Sun Records, which I'm assuming Wynonie is the original artist.

Wilbert Harris, Kansas City
My introduction to this was the Beatles version that melded with Hey Hey Hey.

Dale Hawkins, Suzy Q 
This is a jangly awesome recording, CCR be damned. I don't remember this guy featured in the movie about Chess Records. This requires further digging.

No comments:

Best Meal I Ever Ate, Appetizers

Jim and I: seventeen-year-old gastro thrill seekers. I'm intentionally out of order with May posts to celebrate May 8 as my promaversary...