Wednesday, August 19, 2020

The Songs That Shaped Rock and Roll, 201-210

"Hey, do you like Hüsker Dü?"

Howlin' Wolf, Smokestack Lightinin', Spoonful, Red Rooster
Second generation, I heard most of these redone by The Rolling Stones. He's a legend, nothing more to say.

Human League, Don't You Want Me?
This one surprises me. It's a one hit wonder during the new wave that was played on MTV all the time. It's a moody love triangle with lots of sharp haircuts and glossy red lipstick.

Mississippi John Hurt, Stack o' Lee Blues
OMG, 1928! And I love it. It's a little bit blues, a little bit folky. The melody is very sweet, but those lyrics... damn. And if you want a quick lesson, according to wiki, his playing style was "a fast, syncopated fingerpicking style of guitar playing that he taught himself." Face like a road map.

Hüsker Dü, Turn on the News
OK, a story of my youth. There was a boy that I thought maybe was into me, I was kind of into him until another boy professed his interest in me. Then that boy broke my heart and I broke up with him in the art studio, with every other class listening in. Including the other boy. His shy intro to me was "hey, do you like Hüsker Dü?" and asked me on a date to get dinner at Burger King. Alas, I was DONE with men at the moment in time, and me and the boy never had our moment. I'm sad that I don't remember his name, but he gave a very Kurt Cobain vibe well before Cobain was giving his vibe out to the general public.

Is it too late to say yes, I like Hüsker Dü?

The Impressions, People Get Ready
Of musical geniuses, the silky Curtis Mayfield is one. Thank you sir, this is sublime.

The Ink Spots, If I Didn't Care
From 1939, wow! YouTube posters keep talking about The Shawshank Redemption, I believe this song figures prominently in Andy's trial scenes. The Ink Spots were prominent recording artists of the 30s and 40s, and thus far, this song may be the second-oldest that figures in the list.

*edited to add, there's been a group of songs that predate this one which will lead me to do my nerdy girl stats at the end of the endeavor because I'm curious about the timeline.

Iron Butterfly, In A Gadda Da Vida
Best thing about this song is the prank Bart Simpson played during one church service, replacing the regular hymn with "In the Garden of Eden," by I. Ron Butterfly. It's brilliant.

The Isley Brothers, It's Your Thing
We've seen the Isley Brothers! They were one of the musical acts featured on the bill for SARstock in Toronto. Who's That Lady? has been featured in commercials for years as well. Funky.

No comments:

Best Meal I Ever Ate, Appetizers

Jim and I: seventeen-year-old gastro thrill seekers. I'm intentionally out of order with May posts to celebrate May 8 as my promaversary...