Friday, August 14, 2020

The Songs That Shaped Rock and Roll, 171-180

Dave is Team Belinda

Marvin Gaye, What's Goin' On
Another of the great political songs that speaks immediately to what was going on at the time - Vietnam, civil rights movement - that still resonates today, 50 years later.

Gerry and the Pacemakers, How Do You Do It?
Pale imitators of the Beatles, a weak entry of the British Invasion. Next.

Gary Glitter, Rock n' Roll Part 2
Glam rock is campy, vampy, and fun, a response to the seriousness of the times. It's entirely too bad what he did in the future. Don't touch kids.

Go Go's, We Got the Beat
I'm ooooooooold! There is a documentary out about the band, and how groundbreaking they were. And I experienced them first time around. I didn't think about them being revolutionaries at the time, I just danced.

Golden Gate Quartet, Rock My Soul
I don't know where or how to define this. I hear gospel, I hear soul, I hear a little country twang.

Grand Funk Railroad, We're an American Band
Another classic rock staple, notable for its celebration of the groupie Sweet Connie. Not particularly a fan.

Grandmaster Flash & the Furious Five, The Message
Early days of rap music, a simpler sound, simple sample, but the message complex.

The Grateful Dead, Dark Star, Uncle John's Band
Enjoyed the Dead but not a Deadhead. Prefer Ripple, which was my introduction to the band, from the soundtrack to the movie Mask. I will reference that movie again when I get to Bob Seger.

Al Green, Let's Stay Together
Another one that is featured on the soundtrack (Pulp Fiction) to introduce it to another generation. Smooth soul from the 70s.

No comments:

Best Meal I Ever Ate, Appetizers

Jim and I: seventeen-year-old gastro thrill seekers. I'm intentionally out of order with May posts to celebrate May 8 as my promaversary...