Monday, August 31, 2020

The Songs That Shaped Rock and Roll, 281-290


Martha and the Vandellas, Dancing in the Street, Heat Wave
I received an invite to the First Ladies' Luncheon, which was hosted by the Betty Ford Foundation. It was a rare moment when the luncheon was going to be in Grand Rapids. Of course I went. One of the guests of honor was Martha Reeves, who is now spending her twilight years as a political activist in the Detroit area. She sings the national anthem, and we were disappointed that we weren't treated to more, and went forward with having our cold soup (watercress? it was tasty) and salad.

She comes back out later and says she is looking for volunteers to come help her perform a couple of songs. Jen to my right says "are we going?" and I was already halfway out of my chair. For ten minutes of my life, I was one of the Vandellas.  Jen and I sang backup and danced to these two songs. It was the bucket list entry I didn't know I had until I fulfilled it.

Curtis Mayfield, Superfly
Curtis pops up here and there with various projects but he's all alone here with Superfly. I'm rooting for him to beat out Eric Clapton for representation on this list in all his incarnations.

MC Hammer, U Can't Touch This
This was everywhere summer of '90. I think I still have the cassette in the basement. He was just fun. He tried to go hardcore, then he tried to go the gospel route, which is where I believe he settled in his career. Another one of those guys that just tried to improve things for everyone around him.

Paul McCartney, Maybe I'm Amazed
Paul's first, and maybe best, love song to Linda. This one was written during the breakup of the Beatles, and he was reeling at the loss of what he has said was his other great love, his artistic partner John Lennon. I'm a fan of Linda McCartney for her amazing photography and supporting his genius. Extra stones for bravely getting on stage in front of a keyboard to play with her husband. Many derided her efforts but he needed her there if only for emotional support. Screw all of you for making fun of her, SHE WAS MARRIED TO A BEATLE.

Barry McGuire, Eve of Destruction
I think I've heard this performed by the band X in the 80s in protest at the threat of nuclear war. I think I heard it in the wake of the Gulf War. And after 9/11. Surprised I'm not hearing it these days. In other words, the message resonates time and again. I wish it weren't timeless.

Don McLean, American Pie
An epic tome paying homage to the early pioneers of rock and roll. This song goes on forever. And it's a game to figure out who is who - easy to know the day the music died was the plane crash that killed Buddy Holly, the Big Bopper, and Richie Valens, but is the jester Keith Moon?

Blind Willie McTell, Statesboro Blues
While I dig the music, it makes me wonder what was blinding all these black men/artists back in the day. I don't have the medical history background to do the proper research on such a thing, but it would be cool, like the pediatrician fellow at the University of Michigan who wondered why Laura Ingalls stated in her books that Mary was blinded by scarlet fever, when she was presenting as a spinal meningitis patient. Mind blown.

John Cougar Mellencamp, Authority Song
This entry surprises me, when Jack and Diane, Pink Houses, I Need a Lover, or Paper and Fire could have fit in here just as well. John is the middle America Bruce Springsteen, writing songs about the life and plight of us here in the flyover states. He was one of the originators of Farm Aid, which was a concert to aid farmers who struggled during the Reagan years. Our neighbor's grandsons, born in Fort Wayne, all considered him a patron saint.

Metallica, Enter Sandman
This song was everywhere the fall of 1991. If this list was published in 1995, kudos for this being one of the youngest if not the youngest entry on this list. The Black album was solid from top to bottom. Hardcore fans criticize it for being more commercial friendly and bringing more fans into the fold, but that doesn't mean it doesn't rock any less.

No comments:

Rethinking Orange

I have a thing for citrus Orange is... Taste:  candied grapefruit peel that is bright, citrusy, bitter, and sweet Touch: warm sunshine with ...