Thursday, August 20, 2020

The Songs That Shaped Rock and Roll, 211-220


The Isley Brothers, Shout
I want to skate a humorous silver free skate to this song in a toga. And I'm glad I have seen the Isley Brothers in concert.

Jackson 5, ABC, I Want You Back
Little Michael Jackson was a beautiful soul that lost his way. Voice of an angel, moves like James Brown, and talented brothers to help showcase the harmonies. I used to watch the Jackson 5 cartoon when I was a kid. Everyone loved the Jackson 5 back then.

Mahalia Jackson, Move On Up a Little Higher
I've just been taken to church.

Michael Jackson, Beat It, Billie Jean
I lived the cultural phenomena that was the Thriller album. This was epic, huge, colossal. This was everywhere. Even my dad bought the album so we would have it. Beat It was the blend of pop/rock/R&B that hadn't been seen perhaps since Jimi Hendrix. Billie Jean was dark, moody, and sexy. Still, I'm surprised Thriller isn't featured. And I loved the song Human Nature.

Elmore James, Dust My Broom, Shake Your Moneymaker
I've got a blues compilation, picked up for a song in a dusty record resale shop. I also remember a kid I went to high school with, who was a little scary, but also a big blues guy dd a report on Elmore James and Ike Turner. He later went on to be a minor WWE wrestler. I say that because I do believe he used Shake Your Moneymaker as his intro music. Or maybe that was just a rumor...

Etta James, Tell Mama
She is more famous for her classic At Last, but wow... I think maybe this needs to be in rotation. Sassy.

Rick James, Super Freak
This song is in the movie Bohemian Rhapsody because it is one of John Deacon's favorite songs. Why should everything reference John Deacon? Because.

No comments:

Best Meal I Ever Ate, Appetizers

Jim and I: seventeen-year-old gastro thrill seekers. I'm intentionally out of order with May posts to celebrate May 8 as my promaversary...