Wednesday, August 12, 2020

The Songs That Shaped Rock and Roll, 151-160

The Flamingos on American Bandstand

The Everly Brothers, Bye Bye Love
Ah, more Everly Brothers. Stories of bickering brothers are a mainstay in rock music, from the guys in The Kinks to Oasis, and the guys in the Beach Boys. Siblings can be your best friends and your ultimate nightmare. At least Alex Van Halen ignores Eddie.

The 5 Satins, In the Still of the Night
An American Classic.

The Flamingos, I Only Have Eyes for You
Drop this on me anytime and I'll get misty. This is a jewel. I. Love. This. Song. As I type, I'm watching a youtube clip performance on the show The View. There is any number of prickly people who proudly say they've never watched The View and my response has been I work during the day so I haven't either. Well, I guess I've watched it now.

Fleetwood Mac, Go Your Own Way
There could be so much more on here: Gypsy, Sara, Rihannon, Hold Me, Don't Stop.

The Flying Burritos Brothers, Sin City
My knowledge of the Burrito Brothers is from Pamela Des Barre's memoir I'm With the Band and her brief love affair with Gram Parsons. Also, the lovely country miniseries on PBS, an episode that dealt with the country/rock output that bridged genres, like Dylan, the FBBs, The Band, and the ever-elegant Emmylou Harris.

The 4 Seasons, Big Girls Don't Cry, Walk Like a Man
Oh, I hate this band. Pass.

The Four Tops, Baby I Need Your Loving, Reach Out I'll Be There
Am I cranky? I rank The Four Tops waaaaaaay below The Temptations and Smokey Robinson and the Miracles. I guess Reach Out is a righteous bop.

Aretha Franklin, Chain of Fools
The Queen. One year for our anniversary, I thought I would surprise Dave with an Elvis impersonator. He surprised me with tickets to see a real Queen. From that show, I quote: she hums better than 99% of the world can sing.

No comments:

Best Meal I Ever Ate, Appetizers

Jim and I: seventeen-year-old gastro thrill seekers. I'm intentionally out of order with May posts to celebrate May 8 as my promaversary...