Sunday, August 9, 2020

The Songs That Shaped Rock and Roll, 121 -130



Devo, Whip It
It's so weird to see the stuff I grew up on now museum/archive worthy. Devo were smart punks, opting for the new wave moniker. For me, while Whip It was a hit, there's so much more that I preferred from their catalog, like Thru Being Cool and Girl U Want. I liken this entry as the song with the most exposure to ensure they are part of history.

Bo Diddley, Bo Diddley
The bone structure of most basic blues riffs. Widely copied, but here's the original.

Dion, A Teenager in Love
A staple of the genre. I have no great love for it.

Dire Straights, Sultans of Swing
Again, another song I experienced in real time, when I was 10 back in 1979. I don't know why the song is deemed worthy, I just know I loved it then, love it now. So prefer it to the fourth wall breaking biting the hand that feeds it Money for Nothing.

The Dixie Cups, Chapel of Love
This song in some variation, is in almost every chick flick rom-com prepping for the wedding montage.

The Dixie Hummingbirds, I'll Live Again
First time listening, and I'm not sure what the hell is going on. These are legends, and what I'm seeing is a youtube video of these guys performing in what appears to be a church basement in 2011. Is this possible? Ok, it's an incarnation of the original band, that formed in, get this, 1928. Founder James Davis formed the band while in high school in '28, and left the band when he passed in 2007. 2007! Lead singer Ira Tucker joined in 1938 when he was 13, only to leave when he died in 2008! They are widely considered the early conceptualizers of gospel soul. They have been the subject of a book on their rich history, as well as a documentary. They were recipients of a National Heritage Fellowship from the National Endowment for the Arts.

Wow, and that is just scratching the surface.

Bill Doggett, Honky Tonk
A song I've heard many times but never linked or attributed it to any one person. Another patch connecting one style of music to another. Within it, you hear blues, you hear country, you hear the bones.

Fats Domino, Ain't That a Shame, Blueberry Hill
A mainstay of the 50s nostalgia train. Talented piano player.

The Dominoes, Sixty-Minute Man
My second generation exposure was Susan Sarandon and Kevin Costner dancing over the end credits in Bull Durham. It's very wink-wink naughty, but a very enjoyable song.

No comments:

Best Meal I Ever Ate, Appetizers

Jim and I: seventeen-year-old gastro thrill seekers. I'm intentionally out of order with May posts to celebrate May 8 as my promaversary...