Monday, August 24, 2020

The Songs That Shaped Rock and Roll, 231-240


Elton John, Your Song
If you're going to nail it, knock it out of the park on your first try. Bravo, Reginald.

Little Willie John, Fever
An American standard. This one is a little more upbeat compared to the femme fatale versions that followed.

Blind Willie Johnson, Motherless Children
Who is blinding all these blues guys? This is rough, in a good way. He is a pioneer of chest voice singing, was master of the slide guitar, and recorded 30 songs between 1927 and 1930. He was also a preacher, and died in Beaumont, Texas in 1945 of malaria. He was also apparently friends with Blind Lemon. Eric Clapton did a remake.

Robert Johnson, Crossroad Blues, Hellbound on My Trail, Love in Vain, Sweet Home Chicago
I bought this box set back when I was in college, and did a report on him for my American Music class. He only recorded 29 songs to acetate, and four - FOUR - are featured on this list. That's 14% of his entire career output enshrined.

And for good reason. These songs are a blueprint for what's to come, as wiki states: "His landmark recordings in 1936 and 1937 display a combination of singing, guitar skills, and songwriting talent that has influenced later generations of musicians. He is now recognized as a master of the blues, particularly the Delta blues style."

Louis Jordan and His Tympany Five, California, Saturday Night Fish Fry
Big Band that's been dragged through a honky tonk. When I had my Cabrio, I also had Sirius, and an addiction to the 40s station. I've heard these songs constantly. What fun.

Joy Division, Love Will Tear Us Apart
Early emo, early new wave, industrial, whatever, it was the sound of 80s bars located in basements with DJs sporting black lights and waitresses in fish nets. Interestingly enough, I took a fitness coach class at Ferris (one of those infamous 1-credit classes that you used to flesh out your schedule) and my team decided to teach an aerobics routine while doing aerobics to this song. True story.

No comments:

Best Meal I Ever Ate, Appetizers

Jim and I: seventeen-year-old gastro thrill seekers. I'm intentionally out of order with May posts to celebrate May 8 as my promaversary...